Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good tool for engraving or signing your work

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I forgot to mention that we also produce pressure-sensitive-adhesive veneer logo decals for various people - just got through running a batch of 100 for a customer in Colorado (unfortunately, not a Creeker, yet). All I'd need is a logo or suggestions for one, we can design and produce. Lot of our customers who order round ones use a Forstner bit to put in an impression just the depth the same as the thickness of the veneer, so when the decal is applied, it is flush with the surface of the item. The veneer is 10 mil and the white birch lasers the best--but it's available in red oak, white birch, mahogany, white oak, cherry, walnut, ash, maple, knotty pine, pecan. If you're interested, PM me.
    I've used that trick for a few pieces that are too tall to fit in the laser. But I use thin (1/32") BB plywood and glue it in: I just can't seem to get a good enough contrast with the PSA veneer without burning through, while the plywood goes almost black when the laser gets to the glue under the top layer.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have used a Sharpie, a pen style wood burner and now I use a turbo carver with a dental bit and fill it with a contrasting colored epoxy.