Thread: Tote refinishing -- postwar Stanley

Tote refinishing -- postwar Stanley

Greetings.

I'm rehabbing a Stanley Bailey #6, which (I think) is a postwar type 18.

The tote is hardwood of some sort; I don't believe it is rosewood as it looks too blond and the grain doesn't look right. I'm a newb and can't identify the wood species beyond that.

The tote had a black lacquer coating that was in rough shape. I removed most of it with a combination of lacquer thinner & steel wool, and after that sand paper. Most of it came of without much trouble, but in some of the end grain there is still black stuff. Not sure if it is normal, or if my use of laquer thinner just let black stuff into the pores of the wood. And to further complicate things, the worst spots are in the root of the curved area where the base extends from the body of the handle, so access isn't the best. I've sanded quite a bit but don't seem to make much progress.

So I have two questions....

First, any suggestions about how to get rid of the remaining black stuff? I presume it is just elbow grease but thought I'd ask about what techniques might be best

Second, what finish do y'all recommend? I had originally planned to just use clear finish (shellac or maybe spray Deft) but the wood isn't as attractive as I had hoped. So perhaps a dark stain would be best... any suggestions?

Is ebonizing an option? The steel-wool-in-vinegar technique seems easy, but since I don't know what species the tote is made of, it is hard to know if there is enough tannin in the wood to react to the vinegar...

Thanks in advance. Hopefully someobody out there will have an educated guess about what wood was likely used, and refinishing options for it.

Getting the black stuff out will be necessary unless I just repaint it with black enamel.

-TH

Tom (brother Henderson) - I just sand the paint off of a tote. You may not be able to get all the black off on the end grain, however.

Then, it depends on what look you want. I use the stain "Early American" to get a darker, but more "wood" look - more brown than black. The finish can be oil varnish.

If you want to go black, you can stain it with black stain, or spray paint it with black lacquer from a small spray can.

Another approach, which is what I often do when I don't like a tote (or it's broken beyond repair), is to make a new one from cherry or walnut - then finish it "natural".

Finally, several people offer replacement knob and totes for Stanley planes. If you go that way, you can choose from a variety of woods.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Finally, several people offer replacement knob and totes for Stanley planes. If you go that way, you can choose from a variety of woods.

Mike
    Mike, could you list a few?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks (Brother) Mike.

The brownish wooden look would work fine... the tote and knob are in pretty good shape so a refinishing them is the best course for me.

-TH

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'd have to go back and do some searching to find the people, but Johnny Kleso (aka rarebear) had pointed to a couple of people who he recommended in a previous posting. PM him and see what he says. If he can't help, I'll do the searching. I know there were some postings here in the neander forum that recommended a couple of people.

Maybe someone who reads this will post a pointer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I need only list one....

http://www.drozsoldetymestanleytotesandknobs.com/

Far exceeded my expectation.

Woodcraft \ Rockler sell replacements, but these are ... far more than just a replacement.

- jbd in Denver