Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curved spokeshave opinions?

Curved spokeshave opinions?

I need a curved spokeshave for a project I am finishing. I probably wont need it again so I dont want to spend too much on one. I like simpler spokeshaves like the Boggs from LieNielsen, but it is $149. Does anyone know of one like that that isn't quite so expensive?
    Also, I see these for sale:
    A stanley for about $27

and this Veritas for about $70

The pic of the stanley is flat, but they make the same one curved also. I am leery of the stanley because what i've seen of new stanley planes. I dont mind having to prep the blade but I dont want to have to do any work on the body of a new shave.

Your opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Hi Ben

Avoid the Stanley like the plague! Unless you are a total masochist.

Generally, round bottomed spokeshaves are harder to control since you are balancing/referencing on a small area. The Stanley really sucks here. I have not used the LN round (I have the Boggs flat, but it is a new tool and I cannot comment on it - after this weekend I will be able to do so though). I have used the HNT Gordon round, and it is really excellent. But all these spokeshaves are more than you want to spend.

So, what else could you use? The question is what are you trying to do?

Happily, most flat bottomed spokeshaves are capable are being used quite well also on inside curves. A good and inexpensive user is a Stanley #53. Some like the Stanley #64. For end grain and softwood I like the Veritas LA.

There are some illustrations of the curves cut by different makes in my review of the HNT Gordon spokeshaves ... http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...OKESHAVES.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you're only going to use it once, you can sell it as slightly used after you are done. That way, either the LV (which I have and love) or the LN will cost less than the Stanley.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Thanks for the comments.
    Derek, you will love the boggs flat, I have one and use it like mad. It is an idiot proof tool.

What I am trying to do is shape a depression that has a radius of about 18". My flat bottom shave is not working at the point where I am, it did fine getting me here, but it's not cutting the musturd now.

How Big...

do you need the spokeshave to be? If you only are doing a narrow edge you might consider the three bronze spokeshave set; one flat, one curved and one spoon. They are under $30.00 and I think LV sells them.

Stephen

This is the $25 set you mention.

I saw it but didn't think an $8 spokeshave would actually be a functional tool.
    Have you used them?
    Last edited by Ben Rafael; 09-26-2008 at 3:42 PM.

They work

I have gone through 3 sets; sold one, gave one away and am using my third. They do require sharpening or at least honing, but they are very handy. I am surprised how much I use them.

I showed them to a blacksmith and he made me a miniature tanged spoke shave blade an inch long, as a joke. I handled it with dogwood and use it more than the big ones. But the bronze ones work great and for the price hard to beat.

Stephen

I dont mind prepping the blade, I just dont want to have to deal with having to fix the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    ...What I am trying to do is shape a depression that has a radius of about 18". My flat bottom shave is not working at the point where I am, it did fine getting me here, but it's not cutting the musturd now.

Why not try a big gouge?

Pam

Here's what I use for inside curves. They are amazingly solid and accurate. Also inexpensive (2 for $27.50), pretty…

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41182,46334
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Are they flat, convex or concave?
    It is not clear from the website.

If I understand your purpose, then:
    Clifton 500 Convex Spokeshave
    Convex for recessed work.
    I have this and it's concave mate coming in the mail now. I think "The Best Things" has about the best price: $ 94.95 (but I haven't researched it into the ground).
    I was fortunate to come across a recent post here for a used set a little less expensive.

Ben, if you are asking me that question, the body is curved but the blade is flat. The blade is also narrow so that it can easily do inside curves.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Ben,
    The Veritas at $70 which you show is terriffic ! They also have a great kit for a wood body spoke shave that is really great as well. The Stanleys and Kunz are worthless!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi again Ben

What about the LV Squirrel Tail ..

$47.00

Regards from Perth

Derek