Thread: Looking for butterfly table leaf article

Looking for butterfly table leaf article

Hi Gang,

I have accepted my first commission, a 36 x 84 walnut extension table, and am exploring ways to store the leaf. i remember seeing an article, I believe in FWW, showing the mechanics of a butterfly leaf which somehow pivots and slips under the table. I tried every combination in the archive search at FWW to no avail. I also looked at the annual index's and can't find it. Do any of you recall seeing the article? I only subscribe to FWW and WOOD so I'm sure it was one of those and I'm fairly sure it wasn't WOOD. I have every issue of FWW and don't relish the thought of searching each issue!
    By the way, the customer is buying me a G0500 jointer from Grizzly. With shipping and tax, about $900.00. The table is a tapered leg, rectangular, 60"-84", extension table. Sound like a fair deal? If I hadn't bartered, I would have simply put the money back into the shop anyway. I'll post pic's as I move along. TIA.
    Jerry

I know this probably doesn't help, but the article you are thinking of was also reprinted in book form called Tables and Chairs by Taunton so it was definitely in FWW. I'm sorry I don't have the issue number.

table leaf storing

I studied that same butterfly leaf article, do'nt recall issue, but ended up w/ my own idea. I bought extra long Rockler metal slides,split table in middle, installed slides as far apart as possibleskinned the inside set of rails on slides w/ 1/4" plywood, then did outside set w/ 1/4" spacers, add felt dots to leafs, table opens in middle, leafs drop right in! I store 2 could do 3 A later thought was a drawer on 1 end w/ full extension slide outs but I thought of it too late, good luck

It is in FWW. Also, Joyce discusses it in his book.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Ingraham
    Hi Gang,

I have accepted my first commission, a 36 x 84 walnut extension table, and am exploring ways to store the leaf. i remember seeing an article, I believe in FWW, showing the mechanics of a butterfly leaf which somehow pivots and slips under the table. I tried every combination in the archive search at FWW to no avail. I also looked at the annual index's and can't find it. Do any of you recall seeing the article? I only subscribe to FWW and WOOD so I'm sure it was one of those and I'm fairly sure it wasn't WOOD. I have every issue of FWW and don't relish the thought of searching each issue!
    By the way, the customer is buying me a G0500 jointer from Grizzly. With shipping and tax, about $900.00. The table is a tapered leg, rectangular, 60"-84", extension table. Sound like a fair deal? If I hadn't bartered, I would have simply put the money back into the shop anyway. I'll post pic's as I move along. TIA.
    Jerry
    Jerry,

In the footnote in Tables and Chairs, it says it's from Fine Woodworking (May 1992) 94:50-54.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Article in FWW

I know the article you are looking for... The author is Paul Schurch and he provides a very detailed explanation on how to design and build a butterfly extension for a dining table. The article is several years old, so you might not be able to easily locate it. I have a copy of this article so let me know if you are unable to located it, though I just moved and it may take a few days to unpack my book/article collection.

Roger

I am new to the group and I am very interested in how the butterfly leaf works. You would not happen to still have that copy of the article would you? I have searched the FWW site and it shows out of print.

Gerald

I realize this thread is 7 years old but someone might stumble on it like I did. I just found this.
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...Leaf-Explained

I did some research a few years ago in order to design a dining room table. I wanted a table that would be "completely contained" - that is, there would be no leaves that would have to be stored separately. I designed a folding top table. The table only has two sizes, open and closed, but I think that's true of butterfly tables, also. I didn't document the build process but you can see some pictures of the table in operation here. If someone is interested, I'll see if I still have plans for the table somewhere.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Must be a different article, but look in Fine Woodworking August 2011. Article starts on page 61 and is called "Finest Way to Expand a Table".
    Wood'N'Scout

Nice table mike.I like the design very clean.