Thread: sketchup curve question

sketchup curve question

I am designing a crib for my SIL and the legs have full-length curved faces on the two outward faces of each leg. How do I draw that in Sketch-uP??? Thanks in advancE!

If I understand your question, here's one way to do it....

1) Create a rectangle in the green-blue plane, and another in the red-blue plane. Draw one profile of the leg on one rectangle, and draw the other profile of the leg on the other rectangle. That is, you're drawing two views of the leg.

2) Select one profile area and use the push-pull tool to extrude a shape. Select the other profile area and use the push-pull tool to extrude a shape. The two extrusions should intersect each other and continue past.

3) Select everything on the drawing. Pull down the Edit menu to Intersection. Select "Intersect with Model".

4) Using the Erase tool, remove any lines which aren't part of your leg. Done.

Jamie's correct. What you essentially do is pretty much what you would do to take a straight piece of wood large enough to create the final leg in all dimensions and then subtract all the unnecessary material...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If I understand your question, here's one way to do it....

1) Create a rectangle in the green-blue plane, and another in the red-blue plane. Draw one profile of the leg on one rectangle, and draw the other profile of the leg on the other rectangle. That is, you're drawing two views of the leg.

2) Select one profile area and use the push-pull tool to extrude a shape. Select the other profile area and use the push-pull tool to extrude a shape. The two extrusions should intersect each other and continue past.

3) Select everything on the drawing. Pull down the Edit menu to Intersection. Select "Intersect with Model".

4) Using the Erase tool, remove any lines which aren't part of your leg. Done.
    That's the way I did it, but instead of trying to replicate the first design, I simply made a copy and rotated it 90 degrees from the first one; you might have to flip the image so it lines up properly. I drew a cabriolet (bandy) leg, for a daybed I'm building, this way. It's pretty neat once you get it. I got the tutorial from one of the SU help sites.