Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new laser engraver RAYJET

new laser engraver RAYJET

Hi,

has anybody seen the new compact laser engraver RAYJET from trotec?

this machine looks amazing to me. look at the videos on their website.

this could be my first trotec machine!

anybody seen the machine in action jet?

thankx for any info

Mike
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-25-2009 at 2:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Uh, why? Every time I try to get into the shop it assumes I'm in the UK and won't let me in. I see no video other than the half computer-generated set of images on the front page.

So far, I see no overwhelming reason to choose this one over others except for the pretty exterior.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

When I first saw the picture next to the usb plug, I thought it was a tiny little thing that sat on the corner of your desk and pumped out 1-at-a-time name badges or something, but the specs say it has a 12 x 18 bed.. pretty case though... All Plastic?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Sheesh , another "make a $100000 per day in your spare time with a laser" type entry level unit. Nothing special as far as I can see , unless its the same price as a desktop printer.
    Problem is , the proliferation of such units , their aggresive marketing messes it up for the rest of us , diluting our markets and promoting major competition for the same slice of the pie by those with no overheads.
    Ah well.......
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Problem is , the proliferation of such units , their aggresive marketing messes it up for the rest of us , diluting our markets and promoting major competition for the same slice of the pie by those with no overheads.
    I'm not sure I agree with you there, Rodne... I feel it gives people a way to differentiate themselves with good customer service. Sure, you may have 50 people in the same city purchasing these machines, but you'll see them quickly close up shop as the dream is more difficult to realize than they first imagined. If you provide a good end-product with good customer service, your business shouldn't hurt in the end.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Those newly entering the market have not got the experience to give good service , considering they still learning their tools etc. So what happens is they try get some market share to pay off their machine and make some tom
    The only short term effective tool they really have right then is price...and they are generally more agressive in marketing being lean and hungry.
    Most customers will be prepared to accept a slight drop in quality or service delivery for a substantial price drop especially when times get tough.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Sheesh , another "make a $100000 per day in your spare time with a laser" type entry level unit. Nothing special as far as I can see , unless its the same price as a desktop printer.
    Ah well.......
    Right on the money, Rodney. This happens with all technologies... remember when a vinyl cutter made big money? How about rotary engraving? When I started in this business, a pantograph was a very profitable machine. Now they are relegated to trinket work in malls.

As long as there is no faster, competing technology, lasers will still make us money. As usual, the winners will be the people that give great service... not the lowest price. Just this weekend, I finished up a bunch of perpetuals with the rotary engraver. As a freebie, I also replaced the scratched plates that these awards invariably collect. Then delivered them. By hand. In person by our best salesman. (Which is not me!)

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Don't forget about the customer buying one themselves to take the work in house. As the cost becomes low and the technology easy to use, our corporate customers, schools and other lucrative organizations will just add one themselves. This is no different than color copiers and laser printers they now have but once sent out for.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    This is no different than color copiers and laser printers they now have but once sent out for.
    Haha. Looks like a printer as well. I just wonder how the software included compares to others such as the versalaser software or whether you could operate it like the epilog works (with just the printer drivers).
    I have an Epilog Mini 24 (40W) fueled by a Macbook Pro.

i had a chance to get a demo of the software. it is a printer driver and very easy to handle.

it also has a material database. very neat!

cheers

mike

Don't forget about the customer buying one themselves to take the work in house. As the cost becomes low and the technology easy to use, our corporate customers, schools and other lucrative organizations will just add one themselves. This is no different than color copiers and laser printers they now have but once sent out for.
    I bought my first fax machine used for $700.00 and used to make $2500.00 a year running a fax service for locals (it paid my entire phone bill).. Still run a fax service but it's dropped to maybe 50 bucks a month if I'm lucky.. I wonder why? Could it be that you can buy a new fax machine for 50 bucks, or use your scanner and computer.. I used to do a lot of colour copies. Now, any customer I had, can buy a inkjet photo quality colour copier for less than I pay for a set of cartridges for mine.. Yup, sooner or later it's going to affect everything..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

How much does that little "do-hickey" cost? It does resemble a printer for sure.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

At least the X-Axis mechanizm within the arm, looks very similar to the VersaLASER.

I did not see the software in action, but from the few pictures and little description, there seems to be a tight correlation as well.

you are right! but it looks very "sexy" for a laser engraver / cutter. not like the versa.

You can see the software and workflow in this video:

http://www.rayjetlaser.com/en-US/you...g_Acrylic.aspx

very easy to handle.

i'll become a fan of the machine. maybe i'll go to a show to see the machine.

Bingo!

I already have two customers that have bought their own lasers.
    Fortunately for me, for various reasons not the least of which is lack of expertise I still get some work from them, but as the prices drop and if the imports eventually manage to build them with better quality, there
    could be more of that. The same thing is happening with large format
    printers. While the vinyl plotter prices have dropped drastically, for some reason customers are not buying those so far.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green