Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new laser engraver RAYJET

Thanks Andy,

Is the Rayjet going to be available with larger power supplies, possibly 100 watt?
    The reason I ask is that I engrave Corian ADA door signs, they are very small but I prefer a larger power supply to keep the engraving time as low as possible.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-08-2008 at 5:03 AM.

Andy Wingfield

Hi Keith,

The initial Rayjet as you know is going to have a 30 watt Synrad tube.
    The Rayjet may be released at a latter date with a slightly higher wattage tube. I would not think it would be a Synrad 100 or 120 watt tube as I don't know where the larger components would be positioned on the Rayjet.

Regards,

Andy Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    Don't forget about the customer buying one themselves to take the work in house. As the cost becomes low and the technology easy to use, our corporate customers, schools and other lucrative organizations will just add one themselves. This is no different than color copiers and laser printers they now have but once sent out for.
    This has been a very important concern of mine, as one just getting started.

However, after thinking it over, I'm not too sure I completely agree. This same client base could have easily purchased rotary engravers (for various applications) years ago, even today at a much lower cost then a laser engraver.

Part of the reason, I think, these organizations did not purchase rotary engravers and won't purchase the laser engraver is because these larger organizations tend more to stick with their mission statement. Said another way, if engraving/cutting is not part of their core business they have no need for the distraction.

Most successful organizations, I believe, do what they do best and outsource the rest. For instance, a mop, a broom, a vacuum, and a few cleaning supplies only cost a few hundred dollars. However, look at how many companies large and small outsource their cleaning services. How about t-shirts? An ink printer, software, heat press, transfer paper, plain tees and for about a grand or so any organization can make their own promo t-shirts, but not many do.

As for cheap lasers flooding the market with inexperienced competition, I think that it can benefit the more experience engravers who know how to turn out quality work and how to work with customers when there is an issue. What better way to gain credibility and gain a long term customer and their referrals then by cleaning up someone elses mess.

Just my thoughts, as I work through developing my own approach to the industry.

The point to bear in mind is that lasers are as easy to operate as printers , and most ppl that would get one rather than outsource need em for only a few , easily mastered, applications. Far simpler than a Rotary. We have had quite a few of our big accounts go in house.
    The real mission statement of any co is to increase profitabilty and profit and these days , I can assure you, all means will be investigated. With the worldwide turmoil , I have reservations about new start up's potential for sucess.Bottom line..right now , I wouldn't start a laser engraving business from scratch or as a manfgr , launch new cap intensive lines with any huge expectations of sucess.
    Who knows where laser prices are going in the next year or so? I think substantial price drops are still to come in the next 6 moths as mnfgrs find themselves under pressure to do the sales and will offer products at great deals to clear stock?
    I also think Asian machines will get a lot better offering the same performance at 1/2 the price....
    Who knows...... interesting times we live in
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I bought my first fax machine used for $700.00 and used to make $2500.00 a year running a fax service for locals (it paid my entire phone bill).. Still run a fax service but it's dropped to maybe 50 bucks a month if I'm lucky.. I wonder why? Could it be that you can buy a new fax machine for 50 bucks, or use your scanner and computer.. I used to do a lot of colour copies. Now, any customer I had, can buy a inkjet photo quality colour copier for less than I pay for a set of cartridges for mine.. Yup, sooner or later it's going to affect everything..
    It's the nature of the game. Technology becomes commonplace and widely available. You had the foresight to get in early and made good money. In all markets revenues decline as availability increases and demand is then satisfied with many sources.

The thing is that it really does come down to sales and service. I can buy a color copier for a couple hundred but when I need a couple hundred color copies I am going to Kinkos.

I wouldn't worry about the small laser engravers. A laser engraver does not make a business.

Every business has the same issues to deal with. If your service is top notch then you will have plenty of business from the people who understand that it's better to pay a little more for experience. The ones that don't are just paying to learn that lesson by going with the cheap newcomer.

Rodne, from looking at your website and what you offer I doubt that there are very many startups with toy lasers who are getting into your pocket very deeply.

rayjet blog

something new on this compact laser engraver. the guys from trotec opened thier own rayjet laser blog. you can post on there.

good infos on software there.

let's have a look:
    http://mylaserengraver.blogspot.com/

Mike

Michael - Trotec Employee?

Michael, why does it sound like you have am agenda with this Rayjet machine? What's the deal? I can see someone being impressed with something, but to keep coming back and waving a banner. OK, we get it. Trotec has a little inexpensive machine to compete with everyone else's. And it is much better looking than everyone else's!