Thread: Equalizer: 5½ Year Small Display Case

Equalizer: 5½ Year Small Display Case

Yes, I started this case (and 10 more similar to it) November 1998. Surely they would be done for Christmas. Surely!!

Not.

I got them out of the attic the other day (Saturday - the day before Mother's Day) and decided to finish this one to present to my Mom. I would have finished it that day, but just as I was getting ready to spray lacquer, a swarm of bees decided to invade my shop and I had to vacate. (I went in later, armed with my new Rigid Shop Vac - and sucked 'em up - one at a time!)

Anyway, this little case is finally done. It is mostly birdseye pine, with walnut moulding hold in the glass, and a cherry knob, turn button and top cap. I turned the knob (yes, me - the "I'm not a turner" guy). Actually, I cheated. I chucked a spindle, turned the stem (tenon) down of the knob, then removed it, cut it to length oversized, chucked it in my hand held electric drill, and made the top domed on my new edge sander.

The interior is finished with polyurethane (back in '98) - notice the ambering. Outside with lacquer ('04).

The back boards are shiplapped. Bottom, top and both shelves are dadoed into the sides. Door is made with bridle joints. Recycled glass. I made the top cherry cap so is could be removed, if my mom wants to hang it on the wall. It could be drilled through the back top rail and screwed to the wall, and the top cap set back in place. It fits snug enough.

I darkened the cheap bright zinc plated home center hinges by boiling them in linseed oil ('98).

So, I just wanted everyone to remember that we're all capable to taking too long on a project!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Todd,

That is beautiful! I like it! The birdseye just makes it that much more unique. I'm sure your mom will be very pleased. Have a great day.
    Be Blessed!

Ever since seeing that birdseye pine in your shop, it's really be intrguing to me. I hope I run into some one of these days as it will be a "sure thing" purchase! Nice cabinet...I'm sure its new owner will be pleased.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Todd, I remember seeing a bunch of bird's eye pine at H.D. once. I didn't get any and everytime I see some, I kick myself. So your attempt at making me feel better with the whole 5 1/2 years thing backfired Seriously, nice job. Glad you got it done and that it's nice and safe in your mothers posession.

BTW, did you get any of that bad weather? I always listen for Katy, Texas, but Mr. Roker never mentions it. Hmmm?

Actually, Jason, she doesn't have it yet, and has probably long forgotten about it. I'm thinking now, since I got by Mother's Day with just a card.... maybe she'll get a birthay present from me in August!! (Yes, I'm bad).

Lot's of rain - nothing too severe. Normal weather, I guess.

I've bought up a lot of birdseye pine. Probably have 2,500 bf or more of it. At one point, I had the guys who worked the lumber department @ HD set the nicely figured boards aside for me until I would come in. Now, it's got to be a primo board for me to buy it on spec - good, consistent, heavy birdseye, no spike knots, no loose knots and no pitch pockets, and not beat all to crud.

So most of this came from HD? I think I better start checking their wood a little better. I've been ignoring it since I "found" a saw mill. But I just paid that guy $6 a bf for some nice cherry so I'm getting up close to the HD prices if what I want isn't very run of the mill.

That is some beautiful stuff! And even better work with it.

David

Very awesome figure in that pine and a great little project...glad you finally finished it up!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up Wall cabinet

Todd
    Very nice. My kind of construction - something that doesn't take up too much space and you can turn over without the help of the "boss".
    The birds eye pine is quite unique. I wonder how much of it I didn't pay attention too as I used it.
    Well - lookin' good!
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA