Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with my trash man!

Blog Entries

Trouble with my trash man!

Aparently there must be a rule about not picking up sawdust and small scraps of wood by the garbage man's union. It seems that I can't get them to take the trash from the shop. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do with your sawdust and small scraps of wood?

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Two words.
    Wood Stove.
    Steve

I've had the same problem but found that putting sawdust and scraps in a plastic bag completely solves the problem.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

No problem here. I don't send chips and sawdust to the trash since we compost them, but my scraps go to the street in the shop trash can and are picked up no-problemo. But we have a private trash hauler. If you have a municipal hauler, the rules may be different and even a private hauler might require you to pay extra for what they may perceive as "business" trash.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not an exact answer, but when LOML was having trouble getting our freight haulers to deliver in a timely manner she started keeping various edible goodies availabe for them. It went against my grain to "give treats to the 'enemy'" but after all it is scriptural. And it worked, of course.

David

Thumbs up

Thankfully no such problem here. In fact, I can't remember there ever being a time in 18 years with this trash company that they haven't picked up whatever I've put out....hot water tanks, recliner, picture windows, doors, tires on rims, pieces of steel, sawdust, PT landscape timbers. If it won't fit in the garbage hauler, they radio the flat bed to come and get it. I shouldn't take it so much for granted....it's wonderful to have these folks.

My trash haulers are contracted by me as there isn't any municipal trash pick up out here. They are extremely picky about what they pick up. They even took out an old kitchen faucey that I tossed when I replaced it. I found it on the side of the road right next to me two freshly emptied trashcans. Haul things to the dump? I don't think so....If I haul one empty gallon paint can to the dump....fee = $18.95......Haul a car load of stuff to the dump....fee = $18.95...haul an old appliance to the dump...fee = $18.95 PLUS a $20 applicance dump fee.....Pull up with a trailer load of stuff and you get weighed and charged $18.95 PLUS a certain amount per half-ton. Needless to say.....I BURN all I can burn.......

No wonder there are a LOT of homes around this part of the state that have yards full of trash....people can't afford to haul it off to the dump.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Wow, Scott! Yes, be grateful! We haven't had that kind of service here for 30 years.

David

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer
    Thankfully no such problem here. In fact, I can't remember there ever being a time in 18 years with this trash company that they haven't picked up whatever I've put out....hot water tanks, recliner, picture windows, doors, tires on rims, pieces of steel, sawdust, PT landscape timbers. If it won't fit in the garbage hauler, they radio the flat bed to come and get it. I shouldn't take it so much for granted....it's wonderful to have these folks.

I compost all the sawdust and lathe trimmings. Everything else is put in boxes and set on the curb and labeled "Free Kindling". It doesn't last long.

Terry

Talking wood waste

Here we get a yard waste 60 gallon container to get picked up every two weeks. I put sawdust in ours all the time. Mike

Here they aren't supposed to pick up any building materials, but on occasion I slip a little through the cracks. Usually just load it onto the trailer and once or twice a month head out to the local dump. ("with implements of destruction"...Arlo Guthrie)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter
    Here they aren't supposed to pick up any building materials, but on occasion I slip a little through the cracks. Usually just load it onto the trailer and once or twice a month head out to the local dump. ("with implements of destruction"...Arlo Guthrie)
    You mean Shovels and Rakes and a red VW microbus, with tears in your eyes?
    beware of Office Obie!

Our shop is in an industrial building, with refuse collection included. So far we've only done general trash, but we haven't filled up the scrap bin yet. getting close to it. If they have a problem with it, we'll just haul it here and I'll use it as kindling in the bonfires this summer.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

I live in a bell tower so..........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Aparently there must be a rule about not picking up sawdust and small scraps of wood by the garbage man's union. It seems that I can't get them to take the trash from the shop. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what do you do with your sawdust and small scraps of wood?

Larry
    Out here, in the boondocks, we have a private trash hauler. Not only does he pick up my shop trash but also discarded furniture, appliances, etc. Of course, as a small token of my appreciation for their services, I give him 20 bucks every Christmas. As a note of interest, shortly after I started that little trend, he suggested to me that I save myself that 200 + foot walk every Monday to put the trash out by the road but simply leave it in my drive way, hidden by some shrubbery, between the house and the shop and he drives up and gets it. Very nice.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Blog Entries
    Sorry for not replying to my own thread this weekend, but it has been one of those really crazy weekends with no time spent at the computer.
    Anyway, I live in th country as many of you do with private trash haulers. This last friday I put out a rather small amount of double bagged sawdust and a few scraps. when I got home from work the bag was still there with a ripped open hole in the side of the bag. This is only a recent thing and it is beginning to piss me off. I think they have figured out that I am a woodworker and inspect my trash looking for that illegal sawdust. I guess I'm just blowing off steam. Maybe I will have to start burning it or maybe composting. Thanks for listening.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.