Thread: Design Request For Grandmother in Nursing home.

1. Design Request For Grandmother in Nursing home.

My grandmother has been in the old-folks place for a couple of years now, and Christmas is one of those times that she looks forward to for the entire year. She doesn't get around very well anymore and spends most of her days in bed, but, she still has a keen mind and stays busy with some crafts and hobbies.
    Crocheting, Knitting, and embroidery are about the only things she can do from her bed aside from reading and gossiping. Last year, I built some swan-like bird feeder hangers and gave her one for Christmas to go ouside her window... The last time I visited, she had it inside on a shelf because she said she couldn't stand to put it outside since she liked looking at it so much... *shrugs*....

I wanted to build her something this year that would help with some of the crafts she does and considered a few things for her room but I have some limitations...

Her room is very small and There really is not many places to stow away things.

My first thought was to build her some kind of work space that she can sit in her lap while on her bed that will have small drawers to hold things such as thread, needles, etc. Something like a breakfast in bed tray/hobbie desk hybrid kind of thing. I will need to be small enough to close up and toss aside fairly easily, and light enough to retrieve with one hand. It will also need to be comfortable enough to be at for a few hours at a time. I'll likely install one of those gel key-board wrist rests on it for comfort and probably keep shard edges and corners to a minimum.

The problem I am running into is the same problem I run into with every project I begin. I am just not experienced enough at building things to build without any plans or guidlines. In my mind, I visualize it to have lots of drawers, hinges, latches, magnets (for keeping needles in place), spindles for thread, drawers with tiny organizers to keep things in place, maybe and extra pull-out workspace in the sides... But of course, visualizing is the easy part...

With the number of elderly people in nursing homes, I thought there would be some products I could easily build ideas off of, but I have not found anything other than a book holder kind of thing...

Has anyone built anything like this, or have plans for something similar so I can get started?
    Thanks

Nursing Home

Jose, Perhaps you could modify a Lap desk. I made one for my son for Christmas last year . I made his out of red oak 16 3/4 x16 3/4x 5 1/2 deep. It was made out of 1/2 in. stock and was pretty heavy. But maybe you could change the dimensions and wood. You could put in one of those plastic organisers or something. I've been thinking of making a small shelving unit for my Mom who is in a home with close spaced shelves to hold those plastic organisers. I'll have to find the Lap desk plans I used but I have seen them at The Winfield Collection Or Plans Now. Happy woodworking, Craig

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I was thinking "Lap Desk" also

Something light. As my MIL is getting older, there is less and less that she can do with her hands. Picking up small items from small boxes or drawers is almost a challenge for her.

As for your designing problem, you are thinking of too many things at one time. When most of us do that, it never gets off the drawing board. I usually start with a main idea or 'overall look' of my project.
    Example: I recently made 2 tables. I started off with the top which I decided that I wanted to be 20" x 40". So I made the top. Then I decided that I wanted the top to over hang the apron 3/4" all the way around except the front where I wanted a 1" overhang. So I made a rough sketch looking down from the top. My sketch showed all of the apron components including dados and tenons for dimensions. I built the apron and attached the legs but didn't glue it up.
    I measured the exact length for stretchers and not the calculated length.
    I also made notes: dont forget the skeg strips for the wooden drawer slides.
    Anyway, when I got to the drawer, then I made the interior drawer design.

My point being, is sometimes you design as you go or you will never start.
    The main thing is to know and write down the most important components so that you wont forget them.
    My notes and sketches are very rough.

Tony B
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

4. Good advice....

I suppose I could start with the lap desk top, and decide what's thin light and manageable.... hmmm.....
    Balsa sealed with epoxy?

See social worker

Jose:

I can't directly answer your question but I suggest talking with the social worker of the nursing home. Also, check with other service organizations, Area Agency on the Aging... they have solutions that we may never think of.

When my dad was in a nursing home, I wished they had a ~9 home putting green outside.

Good luck