Thread: Cricket Table

Cricket Table

Thought I'd share my poor-man's version of a Red oak Cricket Table in a recent issue of FWW.

Their design called for M&T joints, and the top had drop leaves such that you could make the top triangular or circular by rotating it.

My version uses pocket screw joinery and a solid top.

I finished it in Watco Danish Oil (Dk Walnut) and amber shellac (zinsser bullseye) and finally, minwax dark pastewax.

The legs are also 3/4" laminated. I purposely did that for contrasting grain patterns in the legs.

Critiques welcome; i'm learning.

Couple of notes:
    - Even though the top is centered on the base, from many angles, the top looks like it's off-center. MY wife swears it's not centered.
    - Pocket hole joinery is so great for glueing the top. So convenient.
    - Securing the apron/stretchers to the legs so you can p-screw them is tricky and has to be done by hand unless you have a right angle drill. If anyone has a good way to pocketscrew in tight quarters, please advise.
    - I find shellac to be quite easy to apply using a foam brush, as long as it's thinned to 2# or thinner in Isopropyl alc (as opposed to ethanol). Takes more coats, but stays wet seconds longer which allows you to tip off a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-04-2008 at 9:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Thought I'd share my poor-man's version of a Red oak Cricket Table in a recent issue of FWW.

Their design called for M&T joints, and the top had drop leaves such that you could make the top triangular or circular by rotating it.

My version uses pocket screw joinery and a solid top.

I finished it in Watco Danish Oil (Dk Walnut) and amber shellac (zinsser bullseye) and finally, minwax dark pastewax.

The legs are also 3/4" laminated. I purposely did that for contrasting grain patterns in the legs.

Critiques welcome; i'm learning.

Couple of notes:
    - Even though the top is centered on the base, from many angles, the top looks like it's off-center. MY wife swears it's not centered.
    - Pocket hole joinery is so great for glueing the top. So convenient.
    - Securing the apron/stretchers to the legs so you can p-screw them is tricky and has to be done by hand unless you have a right angle drill. If anyone has a good way to pocketscrew in tight quarters, please advise.
    - I find shellac to be quite easy to apply using a foam brush, as long as it's thinned to 2# or thinner in Isopropyl alc (as opposed to ethanol). Takes more coats, but stays wet seconds longer which allows you to tip off a little.
    Unfortunately, any triangular set of legs on a round top always looks off center, even when it isn't. I think your table looks great. As to your problem screwing the pocket screws, one of the various types of "around the corner" screwing attachments would help. Mine is composed of a spring type mechanism that allows you to drive around a corner.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Table looks good Shawn. Keep up the good work..

Sarge..

What in the world is a Cricket table?
    Beautiful grain match on the shelf.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

I have no idea what a cricket table is. That's what FWW called it. Me, I call it a side table.

Looks great Shawn. I just built a deck table with pocket screw joinery, and was quite happy with the speed at which I could put it together.

I just barely had room to drive the pocket screws holding the apron frame together. If I had to use my full size cordless drill, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I used a short square drive bit in my little Milwaukee driver. Another method would be to just buy a square drive screwdriver. (no motor)

In closer quarters projects like that in the future, I'll probably just use Dowelmax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    In closer quarters projects like that in the future, I'll probably just use Dowelmax.
    I thought about using a dowling jig, but the legs aren't 90 deg, so the faces were hard to clamp my jig to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    I used a short square drive bit in my little Milwaukee driver. Another method would be to just buy a square drive screwdriver. (no motor)
    A 1/4" ratchet and socket with the bit in it works too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I have no idea what a cricket table is. That's what FWW called it. Me, I call it a side table.

It's a table that you put your drinks on while watching Cricket of course.

Nice work too.

Kev.