Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mortiser

Which Mortiser

Ok, I've read the reviews and I've narrowed it down to two machines the SC and the Delta 14-651. I like the reputation of the SC and it has the table extensions and the ball bearing clamps, I can get it for 320 after taxes. on the other hand I can get the delta for 275 shipped to my door. The Delta comes with an extension which gives it more room under the chisel. Also the delta can rotate 180 to use it off the table. The machines are similar in construction they both have nice cast iron bases motors are the same and so on. So is it worth the 45 dollars extra for the SC or does the delta get the nod for having the 180 rotating head and included extension. Thanks James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

I bought the Delta a few months ago from woodcraft. I paid 229.00 plus tax. I read several reviews and in that price range it looked like it would be a pretty good machine. (One of the reviews was a couple of years old.) I have been pleased. But I have only cut a couple of dozen mortises with it. The chisels could stand to be honed before use but from what I have read most of them are that way. I have seen some around on CL here in Dallas for 150 or less. I have not used the Steel City but played with it at WC and it did not seem like it was worth the extra bill.

I just called my Woodcraft and they have the delta but are asking 269 so after taxes I'm looking at 290 so it's still a better deal to get it online. If there are any coupons or deals for woodcraft that would bring the price down let me know. Thanks
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    So is it worth the 45 dollars extra for the SC or does the delta get the nod for having the 180 rotating head and included extension. Thanks James
    I have the SC. You can rotate the head 180 degrees. As far as the block goes, you could make one from hardwood like hickory or one out of AL would be pretty easy and probably be fine. I don't know if the SC is worth it to you. When I bought mine both were the same price and SC had a $40 rebate. It was a no brainer for me.

I just went in acted like I wanted it, then acted surprised at the price and told them Rockler had it for 229. They won't let you go to Rockler if they can help it.

If they were the same price it would be the SC for me.
    -Poe

5 year warranty on the SC is another thing to consider. Sharpen the bits and I am sure they will both cut the same.

If I did not already own the ShopFox I would buy the Steel City. The clamps and table extensions are a deal maker in my view.

I've had the Delta machine for a number of years and no problems whatsoever. I've never used a SC machine, but looking at your pic I notice one thing I'm not crazy about, the handle seems to be quite a distance from the head of the machine. I'm wondering if this would introduce a bit of flex when cutting through very dense woods or when cutting multiple mortises and your chisels start to dull a bit. Might, or might not be something there.

The chisels that come with most machines need work before they can cut a decent mortise.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Steel City is running a DOUBLE REBATE until the end of year. There was a $30 Rebate that has been doulble to $60 so the machine should cost $269 wtih the Rebate.

My Industrial floor mortiser has a handle about 36" from the attach point. On hardwood you need a long handle to increase leverage. A short handle can be made a long handle though by sliding a metal pipe over it. But I gaurantee it won't flex as I demo'ed the machine at IWF Show in Atlanta a month or so ago. At least it didn't flex in 2" hard maple.

Good luck...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 10-07-2008 at 3:34 PM.

Hi James,

I bought the Shop Fox, it delivered last week, is still in the box in my garage. I went for the added 1/4 HP over the Delta and seveal others. Also, I liked the swivel base feature. I'll know a lot more in a few months. Best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    My Industrial floor mortiser has a handle about 36" from the attach point. On hardwood you need a long handle to increase leverage. A short handle can be made a long handle though by sliding a metal pipe over it. But I gaurantee it won't flex as I demo'ed the machine at IWF Show in Atlanta a month or so ago. At least it didn't flex in 2" hard maple.
    Sarge..
    Hi Sarge,

It's not the length of handle I was talking about, but rather the distance along the hub assembly to the handle. My thought was that this may put more stress on the gear or bushing causing wear as time goes by. You've put that worry to rest with your statement about using it last month. I do agree that a longer handle is a plus.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I also own the SC benchtop mortiser and I am glad I do. About 16 months ago Amazon had put the Delta on sale and I pulled the trigger. I paid for the Delta with my Visa and waited, and waited and waited some more. Three weeks later I still had no Delta, so I cancelled the order. The very next day i decided to spend another 40.00 bucks and purchase the Steel City from Woodworkers Supply.....I had it at my front door in 3 days! And it performed out out the box great, I love the extensions on the sides of the table and it seems like it is constructed very well. The factory bits are ok, but they do get the job done. And The extra 40.00 bucks I spent on the Steel City got me a five yr warranty, vs Delta's one yr warranty.

Double Rebate

Does any one have any info on the double rebate that SC is offering I can only find the 30$ instant rebate.
    -Poe

Smile

I was looking/drooling over the SC at my local Woodcraft. Luckily for my credit card, my almost two-year old decided that he was done looking at tools, otherwise I would have had some explaining to do to the LOML.

Woodcraft was offering the $30 rebate, but according to the SC website, they are offering $40 (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pd...ebateflyer.pdf). I don't know if this is in addition to the $30 at the store. If it is, I'm going back and getting one to put away until Christmas.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.