Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustration with face jointing (pics)

Today, 8:14 AM
    Matt Campbell
    2008 Contributor

Also, I push down very hard on the outfeed side. Could that be contributing to the problem?

Only hold the board with as much pressure as it takes to safely control it. Too much pressure can flatten a board across its length and not remove any bow.

Seems like every time someone posts about problems on the jointer, the first responses are to start changing the table heights.

I maintain that 95%+ of jointing "problems" are a result of technique rather than the machine itself. Of course it's not a bad idea to check the table alignment, but I don't think infeed/outfeed tables get out proper height adjustment.

In your case Matt, I think the problem comes from not supporting the material on the out feed side. With long material just the weight dangling off the end of the outfeed table causes it to sag down and in effect lift the trailing end. So you run it over again - taking more material off the leading edge - and the back end does the same thing. So you end up creating a "wedge" of sorts, without ever cleaning up the trailing end.
    The key is that you say it only happens on long stock.

With long stock it's essential to have a support that dead on plane with the outfeed table. I'd be really surprised if this didn't solve the problem.

Leave the table heights alone.

Mike,

The only reason I don't think that is the problem is because of how hard I push down on the stock on the outfeed side of the table.