Thread: Finish for mahogany/okoume tack trunk?

Finish for mahogany/okoume tack trunk?

Hi --

I'm a couple of weekends short of completing a tack trunk for my daughter. Construction is African mahogany frame (corners and rails joined by sliding dovetails) and marine grade okoume panels for sides and top. I plan to attach 3" casters to keep it off the ground and facilitate movement.

To those who are unfamiliar with tack trunks: they are used by horse back riders to store equipment and are subjected to tough conditions and treatment. This one will live in a NE barn (covered, unheated, lots of openings to outside)and will be transported to events where it may be stored in similar conditions -- or worse, left outside for hours exposed to the elements for short periods of time.

Obviously, I'm asking a lot of any finishing solution. My goals: (1) protection against environment (2) durability against tough handling, (3) attractive finish that highlights both woods (accentuating contrast between the darker mahogany and lighter okoume), (4) need for reasonable skill level to apply finish (I'm not a finishing pro)and (5)anything I'm too inexperienced to realize is an important goal.

For what it's worth, based on my research, I'm thinking about marine grade varnish (low sheen). But, here's where I would really welcome actual experience from forum members to guide my choice.

Thanks in advance for advice/suggestions. I'm glad to provide additional information if that would help.
    Best,
    Ken

Any varnish should give good results. The "mass market" marine varnishes are not going to give you much advantage over "regular" varnishes for this application.

For the record, this is a project that will be on my list, too...while we don't have to keep saddle/bridle type tack since we lease a horse and that's provided by the stable and owner, we do have to store three helmets, grooming gear and, of course...horse treats. Right now, that's a big Rubbermaid container. It's going to be a wood tack trunk at my earliest convenience!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim --

Thanks for the response.

Your post inspired me to do a bit more digging and I actually think that regular varnish is better than marine (greater hardness at the expense of less UV protection). I'm leaning towards Waterlox low sheen (with primer for the initial coats) -- with everything sanded to 220 prior to application. If you (or others) have any application advice, please let me know.

Good luck on building a tack trunk. If you are looking for a modified frame and panel design with lots of sliding dovetails (i.e. a million ways to make a simple project hard -- lots of "learning" moments), please let me know.

Thanks.

I think you're making a good choice on the finish. Waterlox is very nice and easy to use. It should give you a beautiful result.

As to the trunk I plan to build, I'm not sure exactly what type of construction I'll go with at this point. I'll have to settle on size first and that will revolve around what actually ends up going in it. Right now, we really don't have any tack outside of a couple of our own saddle blankets and a fleece girth that actually belongs to the owner of the horse we lease. But since I'm also riding, I'm giving serious consideration to buying a saddle simply because there are only two "public" saddles at the stable that are large enough for my, umm...posterior...since the majority of schooling they do is with kids. Today, I had to borrow the instructor's personal saddle as the two I feel comfortable in were in use; one by my daughter and one by another student. It's only money... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good luck with the riding and the trunk. Welcome to a pastime that makes woodworking machinery purchases trivial.