Thread: drill press chuck in a lathe?

drill press chuck in a lathe?

I want to use a drill chuck in my mini lathe. I bought a chuck with a 2 mt arbor. It is to long to seat in my head stock. What do I need to install a drill chuck in to a mini lathe head stock? I asked at Woodcraft and they have never heard of doing it, but quickly admitted to not do much turning.
    My reason for wanting the chuck is I am going to drill a hole with a forster bit the size of my drill press drum sanding and tighten it up to make a friction chuck. Is this a crazy idea or something???

I think they are for the tailstock. I orderd one form HF and it says for the tailstock you would have to use a faceplate or scrollchuck to hold your wood for drilling. (I think) I have not receaved my drill chuck yet.

Jim

What lathe and what drill chuck, my jacobs chuck works in the head stock and tailstock.

Is your mini-lathe the same MT2 or is it MT1?

I have a Delta Mini lathe. The chuck has to be in head stock to drive the friction chuck. It looks like that little flat peice is the problem at the end of the MT 2 arbor.

The MT part of the drill chuck can be replaced for a few bucks from MSC (and other suppliers)

If the flat piece is a problem then spend some time at the grinder and get rid of it.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

One other thing...if you put a DP type chuck in your headstock via a Morse Taper, you really, really need to use a draw bolt to insure it stays safely seated in the spindle. These are normally used in the tailstock in a stationary position and you spin the work against them. If you are using the chuck as a "chuck", not having it secured could result in an injury.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I cut off the offending part of the arbor and it works fine.

I also have a Delta midi. I bought the drill chuck from HF for $6 and found it was too long. I also cut off about an inch from the taper and it works find. The midi uses a #2 stub taper.

Bob Lightbody Guest
    I test fitted my MT2 arbor into the tail stock of my Jet lathe and found it would not go until I turned the wheel out about half the way. experiment by turning the wheel and re-inserting the arbor until it fits.