Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova 1624 or Jet 1642?

Nova or Jet

Steve,

I was in your position about four months ago. I could not decide between the Jet 1642 and the Nova 1624. Three major factors played into my decision to puchase the Nova 1624:

1. My shop has a very limited amout of space. I operate in a rather small section of the garage between my wifes car, and 48 years of crap she has hoarded.

2. I am not a woodworker, so I never plan to turn any long spindles. If that changes in the future, I can always get a bed extension.

3. Not true for all lathes, of course, but my experince with variable speed has been a lack of torque. I can run my Nova at its lowest speed, push my biggest gouge in as hard as I can, and the lathe will not stall.

I love my Nova 1624-44, and have not regretted my decison for 1 second. It is very easy to change speed by moving the belt, and it is a VERY high quality, well built machine. I also saved enough money to buy a chuck and a Tormek clone from Grizzly. If at some time in the future I decide that I need the variable speed, my choice will be very simple: DVR XP. Maybe someday I will be able to afford a mustard monster or mayonaise beast, but for now, my Nova does everything I ask and much more.

The most amazing thing about the Nova (I upgraded from a Palmgen/Craftsman 15" reeves drive lathe) is that the quality of my turning has improved exponentially!!! I give the Nova 5 stars, and I'm sure you would too if you make that choice.

Good Luck,
    Dan

out board turning wit a jet stand

Thanks Charlie, I think the 4 x 4 is a good idea

I have 1624 Nova, I turn pens, wands, bowls, lamps etc.,etc. I have the outboard set up and use it a lot. I have turned 17"x22"x6" (finished) walnut burl, didn't weigh it but probably 40-50lb. range, also do 14"- 16" Cherry bowls no problem in or out.
    Would like Powermatic 3520 or OneWay but I turn for fun and haven't hit Powerball as yet! I don't think You would go wrong with either lathe (Jet or Nova). If You have room, longer bed and veri speed would be great.
    I have found good chucks and gouges etc. make turning much more fun.
    Good Luck!!

Bit of a Gloat

Earlier this week I picked up a Nova 1624-44 from the Kansas City Woodcraft store. I've been wanting to upgrade from my mini to something that I can do larger turnings on but was stopped by the prices. Woodcraft has the Nova on sale right now for $849.99. After reading several reviews, I just could not pass up that kind of a deal.

I've had a Jet 1642 for almost 3 years not, and it's rock solid. I especially like the construction of the legs - they're heavy in themselves, and you can easily add several hundred pounds of sand (I did). It takes a very large, very out of balance blank to make it dance around...

Scott
    Scott Hurley

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's new lathe.

I have two lathes. A Jet 1642 EVS 2hp and a Jet 1014 variable speed mini lathe. I bought the 1642 first. My short list was Jet 1642, Powermatic 3520 and the Nova. I chose the Jet because of the faster response for the variable speed and the fact that the legs were cast iron.

My two primary requirements for any lathe are variable speed and reverse. I couldn't get along without either feature. The Jet 1642 with the 2hp motor is enough of a lathe that it compares favorably with the Powermatic 3520 as it has the same 2hp motor. You can add a box underneath to increase the weight.

Most blanks I have are 15" or less, so the capacity has been more than adequate. There are only so many salad bowls you can make. After you get into hollow forms and the like, the 1642 will be all you ever need until you step up to a Oneway, Stubby or VB36. Those all are north of $5000.

The mini lathe was an after thought. Many of the folks in the Seattle AAW have mini lathes for portability, and small projects. The variable speed 1014 Jet is a quality small lathe. One guy in the club has four of them. Many have wired in a reversing switch as I have. This gives you a small, portable variable speed/reversible lathe for about $400.

Anyway that's how I see it
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Jet 1642

I like the jet 1642, but I am concerned about the cost of a new inverter if it so out. The warranty on the motor and the inverter is 1 year. Does any know how much the cost to replace. I have not contacted Jet yet to ask.

Thanks Jay

By inverter, I think you actually mean variable frequency drive (VFD). VFDs for a 2 HP motor can be found in the $200-400 range. One way of adding variable speed to a lathe that doesn't have one is by getting a three phase motor and a VFD.

Here's a good selection.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 10-12-2008 at 8:26 AM.

Thumbs up jet or nova

Steve, I live in Ireland and was at the same crossroads you are at now. Knocking on the door of 70 and not as mobile and strong as I was,I looked at the same lathes as you are considering now, and as someone else pointed out I'm a hobbist and not in it for the money.
    I was able to judge both lathes before I made a choice and choose the Nova. Cost had a small part to play the deal from Nova with outrigger, Supernova2, and the legs ,cost far less than the Jet. I bought from ASKtools in UK and had it delivered cheaper than I could buy the Jet in Ireland.
    I am so glad I made the choice .Small work area small lathe, but with enough power to turn anything you put up to it. If I had to make a decision now 3mnts.later It would be the same one. Hope this is of some helpin your dillemea Good luck Eugene ...
    I am NEVER always right but i'm ALWAYS never wrong.

Hi Guys
    Many thanks for the helpful replies and sorry for the delay in replying, just had a much needed break!.

Steve
    Glad you were made welcome in Harrogate we tend to be a friendly bunch in Yorkshire especially to our American/Canadian friends. Not sure about the Youth festivals? my own `youths` have flown the nest many years ago now .

Daniel
    I can identify with all your points, I too don`t turn for a living so maybe the lack of VS won`t be an issue?

Rusty
    $849.99 You chaps over in the US seem to get all your gear that much cheaper than us over here . We have a very tax hungry government over here (over $9 for a gallon of unleaded,more for diesel I kid you not!)
    In my other life as an amateur astronomer check out Meade telescopes 2-3x US prices . Wonder if I could get a flight over and...... perhaps not.

Eugene
    Funny you should mention `Ask tools` I was thinking of buying from them as they are not too far away and heard good reports about them.

Best Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Cuthbert; 10-15-2008 at 3:45 PM.

Steve,

A few days ago, someone in this forum had priced a DVR XP for 1799. What is it selling for in the UK? Everyone in this forum who has one likes it, and if it is almost 500 dollars cheaper than a Jet, I'm wondering if you shouldn't consider it.
    Good luck,
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Hi Hilel
    Thanks for that. The DVR XP (I assume thats the variable speed Nova? I get confused with all the model numbers) is currently £1799 including outrigger and chuck over here in the UK. I did like the look of that lathe myself but I`ve been advised by someone to be wary of combined inverter/motor type lathes as apparantly repairs for these are astronomical as opposed to a straight motor swap on other types?? Not too sure about this myself as the variable speed Nova seems a very popular model?.
    Regards
    Steve