Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever wondered?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sidlow View Post
    Have you ever wondered what tool you would grab if an intruder entered your shop?
    Nope. Never have.
    "It's Not About You."

Not until this thread was brought but.....

My Alan Lacer 1 1/4" skew..................Sharp...sharp...sharp.....lo ts of mass and a long handle.........
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-09-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Nope. Never have.

Same here.
    Cheers Shawn.

My shop now is a T hangar at a small airport. There are many more walk-ups then when I worked in the garage. Being from Texas, I do not go anywhere without a handgun. Sometimes more than one if I am feeling froggy. The first thing I do when I get to the shop is take my watch, keys, wallet, and gun and put them in the top drawer of the tool box.

I know the intruder would have the element of surprise but, I can afford to spend more money wasting ammo at the range than most theives. Whatever tool you choose, be skilled at it. I have some old hooks I inherited from my granfathers days as a meatpacker. I think if I was going to reach for something (other than a pistol) one of those would be fun. 36" inches of 5/8 bar with a hook sharpened to a point. They also work great for pulling ceilings.

PS. I love Texas

I have the feeling that any intruder that enters when you are there, working with power tools, is coming to hurt you/your family.... so, I don't think I would run unless it was clear to run inside for a gun. The most important question in the situation is what are you working on. If your banging together some 2x4's then obviously hit him with some framing nails, or if your using the skilsaw then pull back the blade guard and tackle him with it in front of you (hope not to run out of extension cord). I have definitely given it thought. Anything close by that would keep him at a distance crowbar shovel 2x4... An even better question is if he walks into your shop what "weapon" is he going to grab, if he sees you grab a weapon you better hope he doesn't grab one that trumps yours.
    I was working in a very bad neighborhood on some stairs and groups of guys would walk by and talk about stealing my shoes...tools...whatever. Then would keep on walking after hearing the framing nailer or misc saw. I didn't feel safe without a gun in my truck and a friend helping me.
    WHY IS IT SO MUCH EASIER TO START A NEW PROJECT THEN TO FINISH THE CURRENT ONE...

6. Maybe I'm a freak, but I have thought about this more than once.

I also have a front garage. However, I only crack my overhead doors with about 1' of clearance.... just enough for my fan to circulate air. The main reason is that I don't need every driver-by to know the contents of my shop.

I keep a .38 in a cabinet within easy reach of my workbench, drill press, miter saw, and hand tools. It would be the "go to tool" in that situation.

If I were closer to the table saw, band saws, and lathe.... I might just start stomping his head as he tried to crawl in the doorway. Other than that; perhaps my skew chisel or just start whupping him with a 24tooth rippping blade.

Either way, I do like my odds in that situation.

I live in a relative urban area and often work in my shop at night, as many of you do. My dog, a Great Dane/Lab, is usually in the shop with me, but she would lick any intruder and expect rubs in return. Have you ever wondered what tool you would grab if an intruder entered your shop? My Japanese saw hangs on a wall, or maybe a 1" chisel. What would you grab in a moment's notice to defend yourself? Ok, if the dude had a gun, I would simply give up.
    To play along, yes I have thought about it. It is one of those things I have always thought about, even at church. And I am actually a very non-violent person.

So let's see. What would I grab? Well, it could be something boring like a hammer, or it could be a 6 foot slashing spear... maybe a 7 foot boar spear... hmmm, it is only a step or two to the swords.... you know, the Magyar recurve bow is right beside them... there is a shield or three handy, too.

I would be robbed before I made up my mind.

Kris

My foot.
    A kick in his head or family jewels would put him down more than long enough to get the police here. I'm a live and let live person, but if you invade my space/property you have lost your options.
    For anyone to get to my shop they would have to jump an 8 foot fence, and I'd hear them do it. It wouldn't be a surprise.

work . What would you grab in a moment's notice to defend yourself? .
    In this order depending on what the intruder had in his hands:

My fists and feet
    My Dog
    A 6' length of 1" dowel rod
    My Japanese marking knife
    My gun.
    Or any combination of the above. I actually had a fool walk in one time, my old dog got to him before I could.....people sure can run when they feel the need LOL.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    Cell phone, and dial 911.
    By the way Rick, in KY we refer to 911 as "dial a prayer."

I've thought about this as well, seeing as my shop is the closest thing to the road.

I *generally* leave my garage door cracked open about a foot. That's enough circulation, and I don't want to advertise to every rough carpenter in Las Vegas what kinds of goodies I have in the garage. (I live in a developing neighborhood. There are always a lot of contractors and laborers driving by my house. Many of them look shifty.)

I agree with John that there really is only one tool for this situation. But I really don't want to keep that kind of tool in my workshop.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I live in rural southern Indiana where we have quit a few coyote, stray dogs, mean rabid badgers, marauding groundhogs and several other mean critters like rabbits, squirrels, deer, wild turkeys and possalopes. My shop is about 300 feet behind my house and I usually work after dark. I always have my Kimber .45 on my belt mainly for the coyotes.
    I think someone with bad intentions would stop at the house before coming all the way out back.
    Jim Shipman

#1 Joshua 24:15
    #2 "Mongo only pawn in game of life"

I agree with John. I keep a small pistol in my pocket. Easy access and dust free
    Lori K

Id show him some of my last builds, figuring hed take mercy and leave.
    Maybe leave me a few bucks he has in his pockets and tell me here, I see your tablesaw, you need this more than me.

btw, its nice to be a new member here, alot of great reads.

I keep a rifle in the shop, a shotgun in the house, and a snubnose in my pocket.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution