Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever wondered?

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I keep a rifle in the shop, a shotgun in the house, and a snubnose in my pocket.
    Von, you have warmed my heart!

Blog Entries
    In SC, we can legally carry with a "Concealed Weapon Permit (CWP)"...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I'm at my office right now. Last building at the end of a half mile dead end road. My 38 is on my desk, pointed at the door.

When I work alone in the shop (same location), day or night, the 38 is nestled in the small of my back. Sometimes my Beretta 380 takes it's place.

If I had to grab something in a pinch the most handy tool in the shop currently would be a surgical scalpel. That's a little too "hand to hand" for me since most intruders proably have a longer reach than I do since I stand 5'4". A hammer would probably be the second closest thing, followed by a router, then a air polisher.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Interesting thread.
    I live in the city, a few hundred yards from a gang neighborhood and I am not concerned about someone coming in to my shop.
    Many of you who live in the country are concerned about someone coming in to your shop.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 10-10-2008 at 6:49 AM. Reason: Removed profanity.

Folks...................

Please don't let this thread deteriorate any further into a gun ownership argument.

This thread is being closely monitored.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

According to LOML, the "pathway" through the shop is getting narrower and harder to navigate. If you ask her, it would take an intruder close to a 1/2 hour to reach me
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Agreed...

I've thought about it, and pretty-much dismissed the notion. I live in a "nice" section of Las Vegas. ("Nice" is a very relative term when discussing this heat-blasted hellhole.)

About five blocks west of my house, it's no longer "nice." We've got high school students shooting each other -- like once every two months. Then there's the usual assortment of graffiti taggers, car thieves, home invaders and "probably a mob hit" murderers. (To make matters worse, O.J. Simpson and Michael Jackson live here. Simpson is now a 30-to-life resident apparently.)

But I don't worry about people invading my house. Statistically, I think I'm in more danger from people who run red lights. I've got better things to worry about than psychotic chain-saw wielding maniacs. If "Jason" decides to bust into my garage, I think I'll grab for the fire extinguisher, and retreat by way of the alarm panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    Interesting thread.
    I live in the city, a few hundred yards from a gang neighborhood and I am not concerned about someone coming in to my shop.
    Many of you who live in the country are concerned about someone coming in to your shop.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 10-10-2008 at 6:50 AM.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    I've got better things to worry about than psychotic chain-saw wielding maniacs. If "Jason" decides to bust into my garage, I think I'll grab for the fire extinguisher, and retreat by way of the alarm panel.
    Eric and Ben, it seems that today's situation is different in one major aspect. In the past we have always had a criminal element, and economic conditions have always generated more theft related crime. Those people are risk takers, but they usually assess the situation. That makes them, to a degree, predictable.

But at no time in history have we had the drug related problems that we have today. People from all walks of life are involved, and when they are high, or need their next fix, they are "drug crazed", unpredictable, and extremely dangerous. I have worked in the legal system for over 35 years, and have never seen it this bad. Just consider all the children that are harmed, neglected, or abused as a result of drugs. Someone that would hurt a child would do anything - period! People in that condition do not "assess the risk." They do not respond to fear.

When an individual shows up at your door, strung out on crack or meth, and needs to steal something to get his or her next fix, they will stop at nothing.

So, it is no longer "Jason", or some deranged chainsaw killer. It is the 17 year old kid down the street that has become another crack statistic. They are in every neighborhood - some worse than others. But, don't be so foolish as to underestimate this situation. And, it worsens everyday.

Good thread so far and let's please keep it that way. Please?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Eric's got it. I'm far more likely to be harmed by a drunk driver or bad driver than someone invading my property. A month doesn't pass without an auto accident ending up on the sidewalk somewhere in my neighborhood. And nearly all those accidents is a combination of someone speeding and someone running a stop sign.

Talking

What I would do is scream loudly and the wife would shoot them with her SVI open class .38 super handgun...

Actually I have a fenced yard which helps, also a dog who at least would bark and sound mean, and carry permit, so instead of stabbing them and risk aids from the blood, I scream at them to get out or I'd defend myself..barring I had the chance, other wise if they caught me in a moment of concentration and I'd lose that battle.

.38 sp+p or .45 acp, both work for me.

John makes a good point, todays criminals are not the run when they hear you coming kind that used to break into your house, now they will attack with little regard for human life.

What someone else uses to defend them selfs may or may not work for you, but in todays crazy world, I think one should plan for the worse, giving them your money may not satisfy and personal attacks on you or your family may be next.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

How many times do poeple in the news say " I never thought that could happen to me"? Or they say, " I never thought this could happen in my neighborhood"? Many factors drive people to crime. The state of the economy is often cited in history, as a major factor in abhorrent human behavior. Clifford

im not sure why anyone would decide to go into a woodworking shop where it could be some big guy playing with saws, and decided to hold them up. Id sooner think the criminal would opt for a senior citizen leaving her apt to go do food shopping.

I think Id be more suprised if someone walked into my shop/garage and offered to pay me for a build. I think Id hit the floor faster than if someone fired a shot at me.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I think Id be more suprised if someone walked into my shop/garage and offered to pay me for a build. I think Id hit the floor faster than if someone fired a shot at me.
    You too?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    ...someone speeding and someone running a stop sign.
    Ben, apparently you all have the "5 car rule." In Lexington KY, there seems to be the unwritten - "light's red, but 5 more cars are OK rule". Amazes me that there aren't more T-bone crashes than actually happen.