Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font with slashes through zeros?

Font with slashes through zeros?

Does anybody know of a font that has slashes through the zeros, or if there is an alt code to generate them?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Here is the font.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Bill
    You can pick those up from the symbol character menu under text in Corel
    Select the font you want to use and open the docker it should appear.

If it doesn't you probably haven't selected it when you set up tool options. This takes only a couple of minutes to do. Roy Brewer's tutorials on his Engraving Concepts web site will tell you how.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thank you Mike, I will check that out.

Can anybody identify the font in my second posting?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON

Bill
    My guess is that it's Arial. The fly in that ointment is the 9 but it looks handmade. You could do the same.

Notice that the 6 is normal looking so I'm wondering if what I called a 9 may be a q.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-09-2008 at 9:38 AM. Reason: addition
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Try this in any font, hold down the ALT key, type 0216 on the numeric keypad, then release the ALT key.

(on a Mac its option-O)

Cheers
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Bill, to expand on what Mike's saying, those are all active characters in most fonts. You need to look at the character map and it will tell you how to make it. Looking under the "Insert Character" docker, scroll down and you'll find it. Click on the letter you want and it'll show you a code at the bottom. Something like "Alt #" and then some digits.

So in Arial, to make the O with a slash through it, you'd hold down the Alt key and type in 0216 and it'll make that character.

It's very common in electrical signage and it has a specific meaning (phase, I think, but I could be wrong).

Hope that adds to what Mike said and helps some.

Dang it, Doug beat me to it!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

By 3 minutes!

In math it is called an oslash.

Try this in any font, hold down the ALT key, type 0216 on the numeric keypad, then release the ALT key.
    Doesn't work for me. With the number lock on (awkward on laptops), ALT and a 3-figure number in the range 000-256 will pop up various characters. The arrangement depends on which country keyboard you're using.

Almost, Alt-0216 is an oh with a slash, not a zero.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON

I managed to do it, I just typed in a slash elsewhere on the page and moved it on top of the zero. It would be nice to have a font that already had the slashes though....
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON

That's very interesting, I've never seen any electrical tags with the zero's slashed out. In talking with the people we've worked with on them, we've always been told that it comes after things like 3Ø. Meaning 3 phase. I've not seen anyone call out the zero's with slashes.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Call me a geek but if I hand write anything, which is rare, I always slash my zeros. Zs as well to differentiate them from 2s.

I do that too Doug, but in this case, I believe the slash has a meaning according to the code books, but I could be wrong.