Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt DWS520SK vs Festool TS55EQ - long with pictures

Dewalt DWS520SK vs Festool TS55EQ - long with pictures

Well here we go. This will out line some differences in the two saws for everyone. I borrowed a buddies TS55 and we compared them head to head.

Physically they are very close in size and weight. The Dewalt is slightly taller and wider by about one inch. The Festool Systainer is much nicer than the Dewalt box but both are adequate to hold the saws and the clamps. The Dewalt power cord is about 12' long and the Festool power cord is about 10' long. The Festool has a removable plug like all their tools and the Dewalt's cord is attached. The Dewalt guard allows the saw's blade to run parallel to the floor. This is not as possible with the Festool saw. There is the same amount of metal and plastic on each saw. Fit and finish I will give to the Festool but the Dewalt looks more rugged.
    The Dewalt saw can use the Festool track with no problem. Festool saw cannot use the Dewalt track. Has to due with the guide tracks - three on the Dewalt and one on the Festool. the Dewalt saw can also use both sides of its track and only one side can be used on the Festool.
    The Dewalt clamps fit the Festool track and the Festool clamps fit the Dewalt track. The Dewalt clamps are an optional accessory.
    Both saw blades use a 20mm arbor. Blade changing is just barely faster on the Festool and the controls to do it are simpler on the Festool but to get to the arbor screw both saw had tooless motions. The Festool button motion locks the blade and the Dewalt requires holding in a spring loaded lock while loosening or tightening the bolt. Both saws took about the same amount of time to change a blade and both use a keyed arbor washer and Hex Head bolt to attach the blade. Both saws have hex key storage in the handles.

The Dewalt blade is just a few fractions/mm larger diameter wise than the Festool Blade. These fractions on the Dewalt blade conflicts with the mechanism of the riving knife on the Festool TS55 saw. So out of the box, with no saw mods, the Dewalt blades are NOT compatible with the Festool Saw.

We found that with a very small grind (with a Dremel or whatever) the problem could be alleviated with the TS55. My buddy said if the price of the Dewalt blades is significantly lower that he would consider grinding the post - but otherwise he will stick with Festool blades.
    The Festool blade mounted just fine on the Dewalt saw.

The Dewalt saw guided smoother on its track with all of the play removed than my buddies saw Festool saw guided on his track with all the play removed. In fact I believe my friend has been using it with some play. I think my friend just needs time to adjust his saw perfectly. The Festool saw however is easier to adjust for play and on the Dewalt that option requires a hex key wrench.
    Also the Festool saw does not have an anti reverse option. On the Dewalt saw, when anti reverse is turned on, the saw will not slide backwards on the track.
    Both saws use a 1 3/8" internal diameter dust collection port. The Fein adapters on my Porter Cable hose worked (hooked to shopvac) on both saws and the collection hose of my friends CT22 Festool vac worked on both saws.
    Startup sounds the same on both saws and you instantly realize the soft start on both models. Both saw running are about the same loudness. The lock you press to engage the plunge was smoother on the Festool. It is more of a positive click lock on the Dewalt.
    The plunge action of the Dewalt is more of a plunge action than the rocking motion of the Festool. There are two pivot points on the Dewalt saw vs. the one on the Festool. The motor assembly of the Dewalt moves more into the plunge action because of the dual pivot points than does the Festool. The Festool rocking action was smoother however than the plunge of the Dewalt. Both were easy to plunge and can be done with one hand although the manual recommends two. The Dewalt had no resistance during its plunge but resistance was felt by us both in the rocking action of the Festool and by the geometry of the round blade entering at an arc in the pivot of the Festool.
    The Dewalt saw has LESS VIBRATION than the Festool. I was shocked at that one. It is close, but that was a plus to Dewalt. Both have variable speeds and both were at max. Now the Dewalt saw spins at 1750-4000 min and the Festool spins at 2000-5200 min. That may have been the vibration difference.
    Also the cut was better with the Dewalt blade on the Dewalt Saw vs. the Festool without the splinter guard, the Dewalt does NOT have a waste side splinter guard. Now my buddies blade/guard was not new so that is a factor however the blade was clean (we cleaned the blade prior to the review). With the splinter guard on both saws cut perfect. Also note, when I say better it is only marginal - these saws both cut to a high level of quality. I can see why they say table saw cut quality.
    Cutting was done with 1/2" birch plywood and all the cuts were great (as long as Festool had the splinter guard on). We did not use the clamps much but did place anti-slip mat under the work piece.
    Another plus to the Dewalt was the setting of the blade depth. It takes into account the track. I tried to show this in the pictures below when both saws were set to zero. If you set the Dewalt to 5/8" it is 5/8" below the track on the Dewalt. That is not the case with the Festool as 20mm is 20mm thickness including the track. The Festool does have a nicer mechanism to set the depth (push in and move) vs. the screw down system on the Dewalt. Both have a nice positive lock when the plunge is returned to full upright position.

Summary:
    Dewalt Pros
    ---------------
    1. Longer Power cord
    2. Guard can run against Floor for door trimming
    3. Dewalt can use Festool track
    4. Can use both sides of the Dewalt track (for out and back cuts or with zero clearance set for two different blades)
    5. Dewalt can use Festool Blades
    6. Dewalt can use Festool clamps
    7. Has selectable anti-reverse option
    8. Slightly slower speed setting range
    9. Dual Pivot plunge action and plunge action had no resistance
    10. Less vibration than Festool saw at max speed full power (Festool is faster though)
    11. Better no splinter guard (no option for one is bad though) cut
    12. Better blade depth measurement system that includes the track already in the measurement
    Festool Pros
    -----------------
    Slightly smaller footprint
    Nicer carrying case
    Systainer
    Nicer fit and finish (I like the Festool look though!)
    Detachable cord
    Faster Blade Change
    Arbor lock built into blade change button system
    Smoother plunge button and pivot was smooth
    Higher max blade spin rate
    Splinter Guard option
    Nicer Depth stop mechanism
    Pluses for both
    -------------------
    Clamps and I am assuming other track accessories will work on either brand of track
    With a slight Festool mod both saws will use each others blades

I did not review company or customer service qualities - just the two tools in my shop. Also I still need to compare warranties of the two tools.
    Hoped you like the write-up.
    Mike Heidrick
    BloomingtonMike
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-12-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Hello Mike,
    Nice write up!
    Also note, when I say better it is only marginal - these saws both cut to a high level of quality. I can see why they say table saw cut quality.
    That was also my initial impression with my TS55 EQ.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison.
    A very good job.

One more pic to show where the saw is made and the UL sticker.

Nice job Mike. Very thorough and objective.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Great review Mike. One tip that I picked up from John Lucas's website that you might find useful for either saw system is to spray the rail with a lubricant like the one from Empire or Topsaver. It allows you to tighten the rail adjusters to remove slop but still have the saw glide smoothly. I generally spray the rails and give a quick wipe every few times I use the system and it really helps. The brands I mentioned work well--if you try something else remember to avoid anything with silicon since it can interfere with finishes.

Well done Mike. Very objective and informative. Rare in regards to comparing anything black n green with another brand... but not too many chiming in yet....
    I've had one eye open looking at all these guided type saws & systems since I made my first slip on the black n green slope. Have to wonder how far off a router for this system is or at least the base for DW routers...... I simply mention this as the cost of the black n green routers has been a deterrent for me to not slide further down this slope and procure a TS55 system with router and vacuum. Make sense?
    Ah well. Well done Mike and thanks for taking the time to satisfy our collective curiosity here.

Does anyone know if Dewalt has licensed this from Festool? It would make sense to me. If they made sure the Dewalt saw can use the Festool products but not the other way around. That may also explain the price point. Athough it seems that Dewalt has done a very good job with this product. I like the idea of being able to lay the saw on its side. Lets hope they continue down the path of offering quality. Versus the Delta/Porter Cable stuff we have been seeing. With the exception of the new Uni of coarse. I hope that proves to be a winer as well.

Edit: Almost forgot. Thank you Mike for sharing this with us. Gold stars for you and your buddy.

James

Mike - Thanks for your review. It looks like the two saws are quite similar. It will be interesting to see how people react to the difference in the plunge mechanism. I have had a Festool saw for several years, and have had no complaints with it. I have several Dewalt tools and have had good service from all of them. I won't run out and buy the Dewalt now, but I am interested to use one and make some of the same comparisons you made. Again, thanks for the excellent review.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Does anyone know if Dewalt has licensed this from Festool? It would make sense to me.
    James
    Good Job Mike. We need more.
    How about cutting some hardwoods?
    Thanks.

James,
    Look at the yellow label.
    Patents pending.

The unique design of the Dewalt plunge saw eliminates the kickbacks associated with plunge saws.

Makita on the other hand is more similar to Festool plunge saw with a twist.
    They offer some type of anti-tilt? rail/base combo.

Mike,

Very nice review.

I was just wondering if you did anything to compare the power of the two saws?

Burt

Very clean unbiased report, Mike! I'd like to echo Dino's request and see what you think when cutting into some hardwood. I've had one instance of kickback with my Festool CS and it gouged up my rail pretty good.

I often get "caught" when setting the plunge depth on the Festool in forgetting to accomodate the extra needed due to the guide. Nice job by DeWalt in considering that.

How is the dust collection on both saws? Comparable?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Tyler tool has some prices up on the Dewalt Tracksaw and the accessories. Still not in stock but probably a good idea of the prices we will see. Thanks to a FOG member for this heads up.
    Tyler Tool Dewalt Tracksaw link

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Tyler tool has some prices up on the Dewalt Tracksaw and the accessories. Still not in stock but probably a good idea of the prices we will see. Thanks to a FOG member for this heads up.
    Tyler Tool Dewalt Tracksaw link
    Very interesting. Seems the Festool price and the Dewalt sale price are about the same.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

15. Can someone tell me if the Dewalt cuts on the scribe line like the Festool while tilted?