Thread: Porter Cable 7310 vs. Bosch Colt PR20EVSK

Porter Cable 7310 vs. Bosch Colt PR20EVSK

The local big box store has the Porter Cable 7310 Laminate Trimmer on sale for $82.00 including tax. Amazon''s price for the Bosch Colt PR20EVSK is $99.00 including shipping. I would appreciate feedback from those with experience with both units if the Bosch is that much better then the Porter Cable. If the Bosch features of variable speed, soft start, and constant response circuitry are needed with this small router and worth the extra dollars? Is the Bosch clamping system and fine adjustment superior to the Porter Cable? The Bosch does include a case and fence with the unit and the Porter Cable router only.
    Last edited by Scott C. Williams; 10-13-2008 at 7:25 AM. Reason: grammer

Bosch vs.P-C

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C. Williams View Post
    The local big box store has the Porter Cable 7310 Laminate Trimmer on sale for $82.00 including tax. Amazon''s price for the Bosch Colt PR20EVSK is $99.00 including shipping. I would appreciate feedback from those with experience with both units if the Bosch is that much better then the Porter Cable. If the Bosch features of variable speed, soft start, and constant response circuitry are needed with this small router and worth the extra dollars? Is the Bosch clamping system and fine adjustment superior to the Porter Cable? The Bosch does include a case and fence with the unit and the Porter Cable router only.
    I have a P-C 7310. I'm seriously thinking about getting the Bosch Colt. The height adjustment on the P-C is crude, to be kind. I don't know how important variable speed is with the small cutters typically used in trim routers; it may just be another thing to go wrong. The Bosch does seem much more refined generally and in it's height adjustment specifically. It seems the P-C 310 was more highly regarded than the 7310 but is apparently a victim of the B & D "product realignment" campaign.

HTH

Curt

You might find the discussion in this thread relevant:

http://forums.taunton.com/fw-knots/messages?msg=41138.1

Blog Entries
    Love the Colt! I also am very glad to have the variable speed although it depends how you will use it. I use it for everything from edge treatment to inlay stock removal so I enjoy the control. If it is just going to be a laminate trimmer, there are other options.

As a "Palm Router" the Bosch is a very nice machine. Observations after some ownership time:

- Don't use the spindle lock. Mine broke twice an I am very gentle on tools. Bosch will supply you a second wrench if you request it. On the upside, the repairs were amazingly quick.
    - Add a centered base of your choice. The Pat Warner round and offset pair machined for PC collars was my choice. In practice I am yet to use the round base.
    - The variable speed allows for fine tuning and can minimize the already minimal vibration for really detailed work.
    - The height adjustment is nice but in practice I have abandoned it as the unit is quite easy to control while adjusting.
    - Give the case to someone who wants it. You will use the Colt so much it belongs on a shelf or in a drawer for easy access.
    - Keep reminding yourself that it is just a "little" router and remember to use your larger routers as intended.

I have several routers and could get by without the Colt but like electric side mirrors; once you've had a taste, its hard to consider going back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glen,

I have a bosch colt and several of the 7310's. My view is quiet different from yours. In general I've found the 7310 to be a much better tool. Yes, some of the adjustments may be a little more crude, but the 7310 has proven to be very durable. It is solid and a great performer. To add another router to the mix, DeWalt is making a trim router that is the same as the PC 7310 except for the top of the case

Burt

I currently work building store fixtures and we were using both 7310's and Colts. These trim routers get run hard. The Colts are gone- they didn't hold up. My own trim router is a 310; better imho than the 7310 or the Colt. There's still 310 NOS around but it will cost you about $160 or so for a 310. Between the 7310 and the Colt I'd choose the 7310 ......... it feels better in my hand and there's no doubt in my mind it will hold up better.

I got the variable speed Colt recently and it's been a good acquisition. It's the only trim router I've ever used so I can't compare it to any others.

The only thing is I can see in the future wishing that it had a plunge base option. (I understand the Micro Fence folks sell one for the Colt but it's waaay beyond my budget.)

Anyone have thoughts on the Trend trim routers that have plunge bases? I only became aware of them after I bought the Colt and wonder whether I'd prefer one of theirs.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I appreciate the feedback.

I have the colt, and have used the PC7310 and the PC production laminate trimmer. If I did laminate installations my opinions might be different, but as a wood worker I find the colt far superior to the 7310 on most levels. The 7310 I found awkward, weak and tipsy, the colt is a powerful little beauty that finds its way into my hands more each month.

The PC 310 production laminate trimmer is a thing of beauty worth consideration if the budget allows, otherwise I'd recommend the colt as the best option short of Festool.

I own the PC 7310, PC 310 and Bosch Colt. The PC 7310 is so hard to adjust for bit height, I have dedicated it to a jig where the height never gets changed. The PC 310 is great, but pricey. The Bosch Colt is just fine, for the lower price and if a "hobby" router is right for you.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I've used them both. Love the Colt!!