Thread: Hinge help / terminololgy

1. Hinge help / terminololgy

I am insalling an inset cabinet door, and I would like no gap or a VERY minimal gap around the door. Therefore, I am trying to buy a butt hinge whose leaves mate completely when the hinge is in the closed position. In other words, when the hinge is closed, there is no gap between the leaves. My understanding is that this is called a swaged hinge. Correct? With an unswaged hinge there is a gap (of maybe 1/16 to 1/8 depending on the hinge) when the hinge is closed. In other words, when the leaves of an unswaged hinge are parallel to one another in the closed position, the leaves dont touch one another. Correct?

So I want a swaged hinge, correct?

The reason I ask is because I have been having trouble getting what I want from one of the hardware dealers (catalog). They have sent several different hinges under the same part number. Any other advice on how to tell the vendor what I want or on where to buy?

Thanks
    Last edited by Tom Gattiker; 05-18-2004 at 9:32 PM.

Tom, you are correct - the term swaged is correct.

However, you don't have to have a swaged hinge to have no gap. All you have to do is mortise your hinges deeper.

All I do to close the gap is set the hindge on a anvil lay a piece of steel across it up close to the pin and hit the steel with a big hammer this will close the gap

All I do to close the gap is set the hindge on a anvil lay a piece of steel across it up close to the pin and hit the steel with a big hammer this will close the gap