Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunstock laser checkering - 1st attempt

Gunstock laser checkering - 1st attempt

I had the stock removed from my Ruger 10/22 so I thought I'd see what I could do with it. I'm at a disadvantage right off the bat because I can only engrave black and white, no grayscale.

I just tried the fish scale pattern from the Post Script Fill in Corel, added the RUGER text, converted it to a bitmap and engraved it.

It's nothing spectacular but it did improve the looks of the stock.

Skip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skip

WK Laser LC6090 80w - Shopsabre 4896 CNC Router

Thumbs up

Looks great Skip!
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

Skip

Nice work.

With considerably more work you can change ps fills to gray-scale or any other color. Save your drawing as an editable PDF then open it in corel and change the colors. Also change the line width and spacing to suit your needs. It may take several passes to achieve the look you want.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Skip that looks fantastic, Ruger will be happy with it
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I think that is as close to spectacular as you can get!!

Nice work.
    Epilog mini 24 with 45 watts
    X3
    More wood working tools then I deserve

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weiser View Post
    I had the stock removed from my Ruger 10/22 so I thought I'd see what I could do with it. I'm at a disadvantage right off the bat because I can only engrave black and white, no grayscale.

I just tried the fish scale pattern from the Post Script Fill in Corel, added the RUGER text, converted it to a bitmap and engraved it.

It's nothing spectacular but it did improve the looks of the stock.

Skip
    Skip:
    Hey Dude....I mean...what kind of standards are you setting for yourself???? That is BEAUTIFUL work!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

great work

Here is a picture of my first attempt at something very close in appearance on the fore stock of a Remington 870 shotgun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

another pic
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Thanks to all for the comments.

Steve, that is beautiful work. It gives me something to strive for.

Thanks,
    Skip
    Skip

Wow

Great job steve,

Jusy wondering how you were able to laser engrave on a curb piece that good. I am always scared of trying anything thats not flat.

Thanks,

Art.

Greeat JOB

That looks real nice hope that I will have the nerve to try it someday when we get time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Uebner
    Trotec Speedy 300 45w, Xenetch 1313, Signature 8080 Plus, Baby Lock EM6

Nice job dude! Did you do that with the 2.5" lens I sent?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fuller View Post
    Nice job dude! Did you do that with the 2.5" lens I sent?
    No, I put that one in a drawer for a backup. I did the stock with the lens I've been using, it's a 2.125" (54mm).
    Skip

Thanks to all for the comments. I used my rotary tool to do the work shown. I found a piece of threaded pipe that was roughly the size of the hole in the stock and correct length. I then cut a couple of slightly oversized wooden washers to hold the stock in place and still allow the piece to rotate without contacting anything. I used regular pipe caps to hole the washers securely in place. If anyone wants I can take a picture of the fixture and send it to you.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wallace View Post
    Thanks to all for the comments. I used my rotary tool to do the work shown. I found a piece of threaded pipe that was roughly the size of the hole in the stock and correct length. I then cut a couple of slightly oversized wooden washers to hold the stock in place and still allow the piece to rotate without contacting anything. I used regular pipe caps to hole the washers securely in place. If anyone wants I can take a picture of the fixture and send it to you.
    Hi Steven. I would like to try that on my Remington 870. Your work is beautiful. A picture of your fixture would be nice. Thanks.