Thread: Any glue issues with Jatoba?

Any glue issues with Jatoba?

Hi everybody! I'm building a cradle for my first child and have decided to use Maple and Jatoba. I was wondering if there were any known issues with using PVA type glues with Jatoba. I've seen a lot of recommendations to use urethane glues for tropical hardwoods like teak.....

TIA,

Erik

The story on oily woods is to wipe down with acetone prior to glueing with yellow glue. Don't assume that poly glue is stronger, as it's not.

Todd

PVA is fine for Jatoba

I've used PVA glues without problems with Jatoba. I have not noticed it to be an oily wood.

I've used Lee Valley's 2002 cabinetmakers glue as well as plain white Elmer's. Haven't noticed any failed joints with either.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Thanks guys!

After the "Glue Centerfold" in WOOD (newest issue), I am convinced that poly (Gorilla Glue, for example) isn't all it's cracked up to be. It has better resistance to heat over PVAs and can glue more materials together than PVA. It is comparable in strength to PVAs but the new Titebond III is the strongest yet. If you are lazy to wipe with acetone or are worried even if you wipe with acetone, then the poly is a good choice since it will bond oily woods better than PVAs.

I've gleaned all this information from the Glue Centerfold in the newest WOOD magazine so I hope they weren't too biased in their findings....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    I've gleaned all this information from the Glue Centerfold in the newest WOOD magazine so I hope they weren't too biased in their findings....
    You know, I have that issue also and I noticed that the Glue Centerfold was "sponsored by" the nice folks at Titebond (notice that all of the pictures are of Titebond products) so I don't know if their report on the effectiveness of various glues was a state of the glue technology report or a state of Titebond's glue technology report. To me, it just read as one big advertisement masquerading as a definitive document. Nevertheless I do use a lot of Titebond II and Titebond II extended.....

The Glue Centerfold was what made me ask the question since I didn't know whether Jatoba was considered in the oily wood category.

Erik

Excellent point, Erik. No Elmers or any other brand of PVA was in that centerfold so you are correct to be somewhat leary. Still, I think the poly reporting was at least accurate. Heck, maybe Gorilla Glue poly is stronger than Titebond Poly?? Who knows....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Excellent point, Erik. No Elmers or any other brand of PVA was in that centerfold so you are correct to be somewhat leary. Still, I think the poly reporting was at least accurate.
    At least the TB folks included their own polyurethane glue in the chart so it should be "relatively" ok as a general guide when choosing a particular type of glue for a project. The formulas don't very "that much" between brands...at least to my knowledge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...