Thread: Akeda BC24 Dovetail Jig Arrived Today

Akeda BC24 Dovetail Jig Arrived Today

After a month of research and reading, I ordered the Akeda BC24 from thejigstore.com on Monday afternoon, it arrived at 9 AM this morning. Not bad FedEx!

When I signed for it and the driver handed it to me, I was impressed. It took two hands to carry it back in the house.

After mounding it as directed I tried a through dovetail. I was skeptical the whole time I was doing the setup and reading the manual on the fly. I ordered an extra guide bushing and collet reducer so I could use two routers and not have to change the bit and reset the depth.

I set up the jig so I could do the tails on one end and the pins on the other.

Turned on the routers and went to work.

To my amazement...................the joint fit perfectly!!!!! On the first try with a new machine. I had tried this over and over again with my PC 4212 and never could get a joint close to what I produced the first time with the Akeda. Maybe it was just luck.

Another big benefit was, the floor, the equipment and me showed no signs of chips or dust. I had the dust collect hooked up to my Onieda Dust Gorilla.

Also, there was no tear out in the oak I used for a trial. There was more tear out from using the cutoff saw then there was from the router.

I had taken pictures of the joint but couldn't figure out how to post them. I went to FAQ and it said to go to User Control Panel and click on "Pictures and Albums" but the "Pictures and Albums" button was not there.

Conclusion: Yes it was fairly costly but it produced just what others and the manufacture had said it would. The lack of frustration and the joy of having it come out right were worth it. And, BTW, Kevan Lear, the inventor of this thing is very helpful and will take all the time needed to answer your questions before you purchase and after.

Jim

I see no DT jig.....?
    And yes I've had a cup of coffee already.. eyes wide open....

Greg

Tool Jealousy

Jim,

Congratulations. (Sigh.)

I have the Akeda 16 inch and appreciate its virtues. I probably could use the 24" to make more things but explaining that to SWMBO could prove to be "interesting." Besides, LV came up with so many new and nice planes this year and I want to buy a new jointer.

I agree that Akeda's do through dovetails perfectly. I find that half blinds require a little testing and adjustment, but once they are set to the thickness they are fine. Dust collection also works acceptably.

I do recommend you use a clear base - reduces chance of errors.

Tom

Greg - Like I said, couldn't figure out how to post the pics.

Tom - I have Pat Warner's bases for my router and you are right, it sure helps to see where yer goin'. The dust collections allows you see everything all the time. No dust or chip build-up.

I bought the 24" for two reasons: 1- I may someday build a blanket chest(on the back burner like many other things). 2- It allows me to work up to approximately 12" wide material without having to change tail and pin guides.

Any tips on the half blinds?? .....before I try them.

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim,

I found this site useful on using the Akeda.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/akeda.htm

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eller View Post
    Greg - Like I said, couldn't figure out how to post the pics.

Tom - I have Pat Warner's bases for my router and you are right, it sure helps to see where yer goin'. The dust collections allows you see everything all the time. No dust or chip build-up.

I bought the 24" for two reasons: 1- I may someday build a blanket chest(on the back burner like many other things). 2- It allows me to work up to approximately 12" wide material without having to change tail and pin guides.

Any tips on the half blinds?? .....before I try them.

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim
    Congrats and good to hear. UPS has mine in the truck right now should get it later today
    Dan

Dan - Let us know what you think.

Mark - Here is another review of the DC16 and where I made a lot of my decision from, written by a Charlie B.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/A...etailJig1.html

I don't know Charlie B. from Adam but I like his style. He takes a NO BS approach.

I spoke with Kevan at Akeda about this reviewer and he said he was "very independent", which is a good thing from my point of view. Kevan said he bought his own unit and did the review on his own. Kevan has tried to contact him to thank him but he won't even answer his e-mails. If you read some of Charlie B.'s other correspondence you will see he write everything with an in your face approach.

Maybe someone else can shed some more light on who Charlie B. is. I would be interested.

Thanks,
    Jim