Thread: Black Finish

Black Finish

I have a few projects in mind that I want to either use a Black painted finish or an Ebonized finish on. I've looked over the site about the different methods for Ebonizing wood and which one's look the most like the real thing, I even read an article in the new FWW about it. But for my first few mock ups/ proto types I was planning on using what ever wood would be the cheapest locally ( These will be my first steps into using solid wood instead of ply wood, though I may use some ply too).
    What I wanted to know was can I Ebonize Pine,Popular,Fir ( may look odd I'm sure but got to try it sometime) generally the cheaper soft woods ( I know cheaper wood will depend on a lot of factors) maybe getting into the mid range hard woods if I can.
    Something else that I wanted to do is either use a satin black finish or some other dark finish that didn't show the grain along with a sliver or metallic paint to accent some areas maybe getting into some inlay at some point ( either wood or silver/Stainless steel maybe).
    Any Opinions on this will be appreciated greatly

Use india ink works great I use the water base one. With the grain pattern of cherry it will look just like ebony, popular would be the next closest if you ask me. Never did fir or pine don't even have any in the shop. The soft woods will suck up ink like a sponge which may give a blotchy look or lap marks. I've used it on one job as a high lighter using an air brush, didn't think it would work and thought it might ruin the peice but it turned out really cool. Sorry don't have pictures did that job before I found this sight.
    good luck Tom

Tom,
    Where do you get the india ink ?

Rob, any art supply store will have India ink and many hobby/craft shops that support crafts and calligraphy will also have it available.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. I'm kinda new here, but I've read that you can purchase a powered tannin mix, apply it to the soft woods, then use the vinegar/rust method....just an idea.