Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polyester Impregnated Kraft Paper

Talking Polyester Impregnated Kraft Paper

Does anyone know anything about such a material? I seen photos of fine vector cut and raster engraved details, and instead of the normal 1/64" micro-thin plywood used for model railroad kit construction, this material was used with claims that is it harder, cuts cleaner, and resists warping when painting.

I have googled variations to death but only seem to find references to patent applications.

Anyone?

That sounds like what's on MDO, Medium Density Overlay plywood.

I have never heard of it being sold with just the paper and have never seen it less than 1/2" thick.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You might have a look at oil board which I have used as you have described.

http://www.customcutstencilco.com/machine.htm
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have also looked for this type of material. The closest I could come was melamine sheets used in the electrical industry for insulation... also known as phenolic. It comes reinforced with various types of fibers, including cotton. I was able to find references to this material as thin as .020", but was never able to get samples or a quote. Unless you are buying a railroad car load, manufacturers just are not interested.

My application was as a backing on thin veneers.

By the way the source for thin veneers is Lenderink...

http://www.lenderink.com/

Mark

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    in the electrical industry for insulation... also known as phenolic. It comes reinforced with various types of fibers
    Hi Mark and Robert,

I have some phenolic sheets here somewhere that I bought surplus years back. Not sure of the filler material, probably cotton as that is the most common for electrical use.

From memory, thicknesses 1/32", 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" in 12" x 12" squares. I am not sure if you can cut it with a laser but it does machine nicely. There may even be thicker stuff, it was a long time back.

Let me know what thickness and how many and I will see what I have. Email or PM if you like.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Or you could always make your own.
    Kraft paper is cheap enough as is polyester resin.

There is a Mil Spec material like this available at Edco Supply in Brooklyn http://www.edcosupply.com/index.htm I used to talk to Brian there. They make bags to order so I don't know what the minimum would be for roll stock, but they might have some drops available.
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

I have not heard of polyester resin- Kraft paper, but it sounds like something that would be used for electrical insulation. I suspect that the polyester resin/paper would be a thermoset so I would expect some charring with both cutting and marking. This might not be a problem for your application if it is painted.

Maybe you should consider glass/epoxy sheet (try FR4 or G10 grades.) This is normally used in the circuit board industry and as electrical insulators. You would want FR4 without copper.

I have cut 1/32" FR4 without problems (except for the charring). I expect .015" would cut fine. It is flat and very stiff, it will not warp when painted, and is generally is a very stable material. You would have to test it to see if it cuts fast enough for your application. As far as engraving FR4, I don't know what the quality would be like as I have not tried engraving it. You might have to micro-blast after engraving to remove the char.

You can get .015" FR4 here:

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/G10_FR4_Glass_Epoxy_Sheet/G10NAT0-016X12X48

This place sells .005, .010, and .015"

http://www.electricalinsulationmaterial.com/g10-fr4.html

There are minimum orders but it's not that unreasonable.

If you search on FR4 sheet you will likely find other suppliers.

Talking

I have found out a little more. it is called "Laser Board" and is available from Northeastern Scale Lumber.

From the photos I seen, it is a light Kraft color, .015" thick, raster engraves very clean without any charing, and vector cuts real clean. It takes paint well, yet is water resistant.

I am trying to obtain a sample to try.

-Robert Ray

Thanks Robert!! I've seen it too and was wondering the same thing! The stuff is smooth, thin, strong and flexible. Perfect for miniature model work. The only problem was where to buy it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ray View Post
    I have found out a little more. it is called "Laser Board" and is available from Northeastern Scale Lumber.

From the photos I seen, it is a light Kraft color, .015" thick, raster engraves very clean without any charing, and vector cuts real clean. It takes paint well, yet is water resistant.

I am trying to obtain a sample to try.

-Robert Ray
    This web site no longer exists... does anyone know who makes it?

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

I was told it is a "Manufacturers Only" item available from http://northeasternscalelumber.com

This is what was replied when I asked about it:
    It's a polyester impregnated Kraft liner paper. Being Impregnated water does not effect it. Has a tensile strength of 12,000psi, can be ripped but I have cut wood rafters for a kit that broke just butting them in place were the laser board ones did not and went in much better . It also has a constant thickness the wood plywood.
    It's called Laser board and was designed for laser cutting, it is hard on hobby knifes that's for sure but does cut clean. Northeastern scale lumber has it but it's a Manufacturer only idem. It does take paint well.
    As for the product it is 1/64 Th inch thick or .015 and comes in 12 x 24 inch sheets.
    The gentleman who posted above is sending me 10 sheets to play with, and he said it cost about $3 a sheet. I am planing on using it for Z Scale model railroad uses.

-Robert

Not sure if this is what you need? They have something like what you're describing at Dick Blick...

http://www.dickblick.com/zz289/31/

Phil

I read the MSDS for the Oil Board, and it's Naptha and Vegetable Oil saturated Kraft Paper. That is a different product, probably perfect for making laser cut stencils, but probably won't take paint too well.

I regularly cut clear polyester sheet to use as window material for my kits, and it is the best cutting plastic I have found. Much better cleaner cutting than acrylic, as it does not leave a sticky residue. Mylar is Polyester.

Having a blend of wood and polyester should yield the best of both worlds (wood and plastic) as far as laser kits are concerned. I just have to test it and see for myself.

-Robert

I finally got in contact with the supplier of the resin-paper, and ordered enough to experiment with. Here is the address:

Korin, at:
    Northeastern Scale Lumber Co., Inc99 Cross St Methuen, MA 800 343 2094 Office978 794 9104 FaxPrecision Scale LumberI will report on how well it works.Mark