Thread: off center pepper mill ???

off center pepper mill ???

I was reading Bob Hallowell's tutorial on turning peppermills----here is my delima----My glue up will end up being 11.5L x 3.75W----I need the final ruff turned blank to be at least 11 inchs long by 2.5 wide (this is following the instructions and not turning the top seperatly like bob---it is to late for that because my boards are to short already)

It does not appear that I will end up with the blank being long enough once I turn it down if I off center it enough to make the seems twisted rather than just straight

ok sorry after all that--here is the readers digest version

DO YOU THINK I WILL END UP WITH A 11inch ROUND BLANK IF I OFfFCENTER TURN A 11.5 inch sqaure blank (geuss I can always go buy shorter mechanisms)

What kind of mechanism are you using? If it is a crush grind, the shaft can be easily cut down in length to any size. It may be possible to cut others also.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

think it is chef choice or somthing like that

the bottom is smashed or lipped and the top os threaded for the nut

The shaft is fairly easy to shorten. After cutting to the new shorter length, clamp the shaft in a vise with only a 1/4 inch protruding above the jaws, and lighty peen a new upset on the end. You may need to protect the shaft from the serrations of the vise jaws with heavy paper of scrap pieces of sheet metal.

Later,
    Dale M
    Last edited by Dale Miner; 10-17-2008 at 7:48 AM.

John,
    first you can make them shorter it doesn't matter. I normally start with a longer glue up to get a 12" mill but I do make shorter. Next I only use the stainless steal mech like you said and buy them in 14" lenghts so I can cut them to any lenght. I find it is easier to cut the shaft then be excact on the mill size. When I cut the shaft I peen the bottom edges over so it still catches on the bottom grinder.

As for your glue up I would still cut off a 2 3/4 piece for the top, if you don't the twist won't match up becuase of the parting cut and the tenon. you should still end up with a 10-10.5" mill.

Bob