Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another gloat -- a $75 lathe...

Another gloat -- a $75 lathe...

I am FAST running out of room in the shop.

Today's addition: A Delta 46-701 lathe. In near-perfect condition (only the third machine I've bought that did not need a complete overhaul.) With four gouges, live center, dead center, mounting plate, manual (wow, that's a first), and all the wrenches...

$75

Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I would tell you congrads but I don't think it happened. You know the rules no pics it didn't happen.

Good deal though if the pics come thur.

Bob

Bob,

I think you might want to clean your glasses.

The photos have been there since I first saw the thread.

I was afraid to say congrats to Eric because he obviously stole this thing and I am sure the police are watching this thread, checking his IP address, tracing it back to the ISP and then are going to launch a raid on his home.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats on the new lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks as always!

Any good web resources for someone who doesn't know jack about turning?
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Eric, here is the best resource of all. The American Association of Woodturners and a link to the Las Vegas chapter.

Of course there are lots of books and videos available but many if not most will probably be available to you as a member of the chapter. In addition you will likely find lots of friendly and helpful folks willing to get you started in the right direction.

http://sites.google.com/a/lasvegaswo...odturners/Home

Good Luck,

Cyril

Congrats on your new lathe Eric! Best advice really is to join a turning club. Lots of info and folks willing to assist. Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a great deal for that lathe.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Very good,
    another one stuck in the vortex!

A manual? Tools have manuals?? Wow!!!

Nice haul, Eric. You'll have no peace now...or maybe a lot of peace watching the wood go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A manual? Tools have manuals?? Wow!!!

Nice haul, Eric. You'll have no peace now...or maybe a lot of peace watching the wood go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round...
    SWMBO insists that the first thing I make is a rocking chair.

A few problems:

1) I know squat about turning spindles.

2) I don't own an adze or draw knife

3) I have problems enough with SQUARE objects. Round ones are a big mystery.

Eric,

You've gotten some pretty sage advice so far:

1. Join a local club. Turners (the idiots caused by spinning) are a very generous lot. Most of them will befriend you and you'll get invitations to use their lathes, tools and yes, they'll come to your place and teach you. I swear it's the old...put one end of the baseball bat on the ground...touch your forehead to the bat....spin around it 10 times while maintaining contact and then try to pass any sobriety test....but anyway....welcome to the group.

2. A book....."Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. You can pick it up cheaply at Amazon. Excellent book...well written with the beginner in mind...well illustrated.....around $15 IIRC.

3. Videos.....for general turning...anything by Richard Raffin......for bowls..."Turning Bowls Made Easy" by Bill Grumbine. That was his first video and it is excellent. I haven't bought his later videos but they have gotten rave reviews too.

4. Spindles are relatively easy to turn. Multiple spindles that are relatively similar....a little harder but it can be done.

5. IF you don't have a grinder.....get one and I'd recommend a Wolverine jig system or something similar. Dull tools and turning don't mix....like oil and water. Learning to sharpen turning tools and trying to learn to turn simultaneously....well.....that's asking for discouragement. Dull tools will tear more than they cut and IMHO that will provide more catches. The 1st lesson you'll learn.....tools must be sharp! I mean sharp!

Join a local club....get the book....buy some cheap 2x4 stud material...rip into 2x2s......put a 10" piece between centers and get some practice. At first it can be a little scarey....but soon you'll turn spindles and enjoying it!

Now, once you get comfortable......buy a diamond hone (around $28 for a good one) and learn to sharpen and use your skew. Then spindles will become fun and you can almost not have to sand them once you learn to turn them with a SHARP skew. A skew is a love or hate tool. The folks who don't learn to use it hate it. The folks who put in the time to learn to use it love it. For now....get a grinder and a sharpening jig system. THe jig will make the time you spend sharpening less and give you more time to learn to turn.

The idiot turners here nearly 3 years ago bought me a lathe and tools and threw me into the Vortex. 2 years later I bought a bigger lathe. I haven't found anything that gives the fulfilment that turning does. You are in for a surprise! Enjoy!

Congrats on the lathe! That was an excellent buy!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    SWMBO insists that the first thing I make is a rocking chair.
    The lathe work is the least of your troubles. Chair making is a whole 'nuther art!! And "rocking" chair elevates you to the next level. And then there are the round and/or bent spindles...

Perhaps some less involved projects are a good place to start?
    --

Nope!

Leap before you look. Bite the big one. Go for the gusto. Damn the torpedoes. Et cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The lathe work is the least of your troubles. Chair making is a whole 'nuther art!! And "rocking" chair elevates you to the next level. And then there are the round and/or bent spindles...

Perhaps some less involved projects are a good place to start?

Just be careful where those torpedoes are pointed, Eric...
    --