Thread: Next sharpening stone

Next sharpening stone

As I work on my sharpening, I'm considering picking up a finer polishing stone. Here's what I currently have:

400 Super Stone
    1000/4000 King double sided
    6000 "Ice Bear" King

I only use the superstone if I have some reshaping to do. I use sandpaper on a granit tile if I need coarser (I'm looking into getting a grinder soon as well).

So, I'm looking for feedback on where to go next. 8000 seems like it would be a bit small of a step from the 6k I have now. So, what's a good value in the 10k+ range? Or is my money better spent replacing one of the King stones (which have plenty of life left in them) with a higer grade stone of a similar grit?

The Sigma power 10k or 13k look like promising choices, and with current exchange rates are pretty inexpensive too. But the Shapton 12k seems decent too.

Thanks,
    James

Blog Entries
    I've made a bit of an overhaul recently to my sharpening routine with the help of the advice given here. I went from 1000grt suntiger to 6k King to;

600 DMT
    1000 Suntiger
    8000 Snow white (naniwa)

The results are night and day and the whole routine is fast, much faster than 1000 to 8000 because I'm putting a fresh edge on with the 600 everytime I need to resharpen and the resulting edge is much better. I could add a 3k stone without regrets and probably will in the near future.

It's in fact quite shocking how much of a better result there is in the wood. If I work through a project, then put a fresh edge on my smoother and make the finish cuts I'm getting a super clean finish ready for finish to be applied.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Naniwa 8000 Snow White is a great one for the money. Also they make the 10k in a Superstone that is cheaper than the stone formerly known as Chosera. (Hat tip to Prince). The Chosera- now the Professional- is excellent but will set ya back $250. The Superstone is still a good stone. The difference is the binding agent. The Superstone will be softer and not cut as fast, but still would be a heck of a stone at half the price.

Shapton stones are awesome. I have the 8k and 16k. They are great stones- very hard, and cut fast. They are also a bargain versus other fine stones.

8000 seems like it would be a bit small of a step
    For most wood working the 6000 is good.
    I like to go further but not sure it is all the necessary.

Now
    that said . . .
    here is an interesting observation on my part :
    My ICE BEAR 10,000
    Is not as fine and does not leave as polished a surface
    as
    my OLD Norton 8,000
    or my
    Shapton 8,000
    So perhaps the gap between an ICE BEAR 6,000 , specifically, and one of the two 8,000s I mentioned might be a good jump.
    Personally right now I go from a Shapton 5,000 to a Shapton 8,000.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I want to try one of David Weaver's jade stones. It puts an even keener edge on steel,he says. But,If I got my tools much sharper,they might just sink right through my hand while I am holding them. And not even by their edge!

I'm putting a fresh edge on with the 600 everytime I need to resharpen and the resulting edge is much better.
    Heck YES !
    I have never had stisfactory results "touching up" on a fine stone.
    But I am more picky than most and do not sharpen plane blades free hand though I am quite capable of it.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    I want to try one of David Weaver's jade stones. It puts an even keener edge on steel,he says.
    It was one (or more) of Mr. Weaver's posts that inspired me to try a jasper stone. The results have been fine. Now you tell me the next step is jade?

I used to have some California jade. Not sure if there is still any around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)