Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chisel storage?

Chisel storage?

Hey gang,
    I've recently changed my shop layout, and it's a hike from my new main bench location out in the open to the wall-mounted chisel racks I've used for years. How about some ideas or pics for portable chisel storage? I've seen pics (but can't recall where) of long racks with carrying handles where the chisels are stored butt-down.

I'm not really interested in cabinets or wall mounted methods, I need some ideas for portable units, something that might hold a coupla dozen chisels safely and be carried around the shop from bench to bench. Thx!
    mike
    Emkay Woodcrafting
    "Uncommon Woodworking"

I thinking of making a tool cart for my most used tool since my workbench is outside the garage..

I'm thinking it would be used to stack the wood for the job in progress and below have drawers for my most used tools..

When I worked in a machine shop we had own main boxes on wheels and I was thinking that would work for my shop now..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keers View Post
    Hey gang,
    I've recently changed my shop layout, and it's a hike from my new main bench location out in the open to the wall-mounted chisel racks I've used for years. How about some ideas or pics for portable chisel storage? I've seen pics (but can't recall where) of long racks with carrying handles where the chisels are stored butt-down.

I'm not really interested in cabinets or wall mounted methods, I need some ideas for portable units, something that might hold a coupla dozen chisels safely and be carried around the shop from bench to bench. Thx!
    mike
    I use leather chisel rolls at the moment, which are great if you have to take them a good ways but overkill for walking 20'. I would go with the "it's a rack with a bunch of holes in it, a carrying handle, and a stand" style if I were you. If you plan on taking it into your car, maybe putting it in a box; I have a box for my Czech chisels which is quite nice but not terribly space efficient.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keers View Post
    Hey gang,

mike
    Some will likely cringe at my method. I made boxes with soft pine bottoms. Then at the top, rows of dowel stock were installed from front to back and side to side. Depending on the size of the chisels or gouges, they can be spaced at about an inch apart. The grid of dowels keeps the chisels separated and I haven't noticed any degradation to the edges. These are easy to move from place to place and keep the chisels or gouges in order.

My other method is to drill holes in a board, taper the holes with a ream. The bigger chisels may need slots cut out to get them in place. The slot can either go to the edge or just cut out on either side of the hole. In the later case, there needs to be enough room above to match the longest chisel. It would be easy to put sides on either end of this and build a stand for it so it could be carried to the bench.

My bench does not have a tool trough. Been thinking of adding one. But for now, the bench has to be kept clear. So there is a free standing shelf and assembly with a desk area and shelves next to the bench to hold tools so I do not have to walk around looking for the often used tools. Having just moved into this property, things are still to be unpacked and my mind has not even begun to figure out how to lay things out.

jim

I think...

Graham as come close to what I'm envisioning, some kind of rack with a handle. that could be used for regular storage or moved from place to place. I was hoping for some pics or plans of how others might do it. I have a rough idea in my mind's eye, but no sense reinventing the wheel.

Jim's box idea is interesting, but I was envisioning the chisels stored butt-down with dividers for the iron ends, in some kind of long tray with a handle.

I've been thru the leather and felt rolls, I have wall mounted racks I made, and even several small boxes that hold special sets, but my main supply of users still hangs in wall racks and I just get tired of wandering back and forth, and I eventually seem to end up with a dozen different chisels and gouges, plus mallets, planes and other hand and power tools all loose on the bench and attempting mayhem with each other. I don't have tool trays on any of my benches, and I'm just a cluttered kind of guy.
    Emkay Woodcrafting
    "Uncommon Woodworking"

Hi Mike

Since you have not had a lot of ideas, here are a few ...

I am not sure who designed these. They came off a forum -

And this one folds up ..

I was going to build the last one and set it in the cabinet. Now I prefer something more permanent. I have tried caddies in the past, but found that they get in the way. After all, you have to put them down somewhere.

So I favour keeping some chisels at hand on a wall rack, and the bulk in a chisel cabinet.

My chisel cabinet .. (Japanese chisels, OB mortice, Berg parers)

.. and Blue Spruce detail chisels on a wall rack over my bench, always close to hand (This picture was of the jointer I built, not the workshop..)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now that's funny Derek! I was just thinking that I should post my rack and you did it for me. Thanks

The first rack in Derek's post is mine. I designed it so that a small french cleat holds it in the door of my overhead tool cabinet. I can reach up there and remove individual chisels or I can take the whole rack down to the bench. The base is a solid block of jatoba so it's nicely balanced. IT hasn't really been put though it's paces yet but seems to be working fine for me so far.

Michael

Blog Entries
    This drawer unit is under my bench at the left hand end where I do most of this sort of work. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1212256136

A piece of scrap with some 1-1/8" holes and an old magnetic tool holder keep things still and relatively dust free . I double stick taped the fixtures in to check for layout and ended up just leaving them that way.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've been thinking of the same thing. I'm moving my bench so that I can get to both sides of it and have been thinking about some sort of a stand to go in the tool tray where I will always have my most frequently used tools.

Lots of good ideas already. Keep 'm coming.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Yes indeedy!

Yup, now yooz guys got the ball rolling! I like what I'm seeing and hearing, keep it coming!
    Emkay Woodcrafting
    "Uncommon Woodworking"

Hi Mike,
    Mine is nowhwere near as elegant as others but it does have a handle and holds chisels on both sides - so carries quite a few to wherever I want.
    Works for me until I can build something a little prettier.
    Regards
    MC
    Attached Images Attached Images

This isn't strictly a chisel stand, but it keeps a number of tools that I use a lot close at hand.

Hi Wilbut

I think that is just so striking - working art!

A name for it?

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you were only to use a handful or so, you could use a small pail of sand or something. I'm pretty sure I saw that idea on a web site of 5,000,000 Best Shop Tips or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Wilbur

I think that is just so striking - working art!

A name for it?
    Um...benchtop tool rack?

Thanks for the compliment!