Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chisel storage?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    This isn't strictly a chisel stand, but it keeps a number of tools that I use a lot close at hand.
    I like that, but don't you ever bump it and it falls off the bench?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Hi John,

The stand is actually more stable than it looks. Part of that is due to my putting the chisel hammer, which is by far the heaviest tool in the rack, right in the center.

There was only one time where the stand tipped over, and it was because I had taken everything out of the right side of the stand, and the weight of the chisels all on the left side made it tip.

If I were to do it over again, I would add some legs sticking back from where the two legs meet, sort of like an asymmetric X. Actually, now that I think of it, I might just do that this weekend.

Wow guys...

...some great ideas and pics. I was blown offline for a few days, just got back on, and I'm impressed with the thoughts and pics that you all have shared.

I still can't find the picture I saw that inspired this thread, but one thing stands out. In pretty much everyone's methods, the chisels are stored irons down. This is how I've always done it too in my wall mounted racks, but run into problems with different shapes and sizes not hanging properly, and sometimes being able to cock and touch each other. In the version I saw 'somewhere', the chisels were stored butt end down. Kind of like a miniature vertical lumber storage rack, a long tray on the bottom, and each chisel stood on end with the butts just resting in the tray, and the irons all leaned into a rail higher up, with a carrying handle or rod higher still.

I was thinking about this yesterday while using a bunch of chisels, and a guy could simply use short dowels in the higher rail to position and separate the irons. It could be a two-sides carrying tray thing, with the chisels leaning inward from each side, perhaps staggered so the tips from each side didn't touch.

It's making the notches or holes to hold them fit properly withthe butts up that has been the weak link in my racks so far, so many different shapes of irons and ferrules and handles.

Just another gear in the works.
    Emkay Woodcrafting
    "Uncommon Woodworking"

Mike

I think that a rack holding chisels bevel up could be very dangerous. At least when the blades point down they are protected.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you were only to use a handful or so, you could use a small pail of sand or something. I'm pretty sure I saw that idea on a web site of 5,000,000 Best Shop Tips or something like that.
    I would be afraid the sand would do a grinding job and dull the edges of my chisels, myself.

It's a toolelabra

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    ...(This picture was of the jointer I built, not the workshop..)

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Hmmm... There's lots of folks whose shop is smaller than that jointer!

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Michael, that is a neat idea with the "portability" of the rack. I had posted a similar query some weeks back on storage of carving tools, but this thread has picked up some meat. I am getting ready to do an overhead cabinet and appreciate the OP, and the replies.

And Derek, the area around your bench is awesome. Would love to see some more shop pics - can you post a thread? The plane looks like a work of art, as well. Obviously not your first.

Blog Entries

Three or Four Things All in One Post

Finally got one of them round tuits and hauled the camera out to the shop.

This is also a little bit of a gloat, since learning to use a lathe in a night class at one of the local high schools and being able to turn some handles for my socket chisels.

There is also in the picture under the long handled chisel of some practice work for making lovetails. Not sure if the little heart shape shows up. Saw them in an old FWW mag, thought it was worth a try.

Also in the picture is a rack similar to the first wall mounted rack that was made to hold my first set of chisels. It is just blocks of wood glued to a piece of wood. It works well on a bench to keep chisels organized and from rolling off on their own.

All the handles in this photo are ones that were made by me. The first ones made were the long handle and the second from the bottom. They are actually pieces from a broken chair adapted to be used as chisel handles. The rest were made in class. My first turnings are the ash handles, second and third from the top. The third one did not get finished as planned because it flew off the lathe before getting done. Same with the bottom one of myrtle wood. The tenon had a bad spot. Tried to salvage it, but it broke in the chisel, so it became a file handle instead. The one in the middle is also myrtle wood. The last two made are the red heart, third from bottom and the top one of maple.

Last week, a "want to buy" card was filled out and placed in one of the local super markets looking for a wood lathe. An elderly gentleman called and had a 50 year old Craftsman 10X36 lathe with tools and accessories for $100. So, now there is a lathe in my shop. Just have to put it together and then to work.

There is also a picture of one of my chisel boxes showing the dowels separating the chisels.

The last picture is a detail of the handle turned from maple.

jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

mmm... There's lots of folks whose shop is smaller than that jointer!

Hi Dan

Heh ..that's 30". It's not new. I built it about a year ago. Dropped it on the tote a few weeks ago. Amazingly it did minimal damage (the plane is Jarrah) but it did come loose. I took the opportunity to shorten the horn a little and ebonize it before the refit. That picture was my record of the new look.

And Derek, the area around your bench is awesome. Would love to see some more shop pics - can you post a thread?

Thanks John. The shop is undergoing a total refit. I have posted this information before (... 9 months of an office addition over the garage/workshop, which meant gutting the workshop). I have been at it for about 6 weeks but, as we all know, that is hardly any time at all.

I've built a few cabinets. Managed to re-use the main section over the bench, but it was severely water damaged (did I mention no roof in winter?). Only one cabinet has doors yet. I don't want to post pictures yet - rather do so when it is all done. I will post one teaser .. details of some marking tools hanging on the wall..

Colen Clenton is a wonderful artist and a generous individual. I was able to round off my squares when he traded this mitre square for a set of my marking knives (Rob Lee wrote a fun review on these recently, but I would have to link to another website).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I travel for my work; will be in Warsaw Indiana for one year

Portable Chisel Caddy on Lazy Susan

I recently created this for point-of-use chisel storage. I'm in a rental house, so attaching the magnetic tool holders to the walls was not an option. This isn't the prettiest looking thing, but it is functional. There's a lazy-susan underneath, so I simply rotate it to find the chisel that I'm after. Items from Menard's, Harbor Freight and Lowes added up to less than $40 and it gets the job done.
    20150120_060906_resized_1.jpg20150120_060922_resized_1.jpg

Sooooooooo.........I guess I better not post a picture of my chisels strewn all over my bench, then.......
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    John, Welcome to the Creek.

I'm in a rental house, so attaching the magnetic tool holders to the walls was not an option.
    A friend with rental properties once asked me, "what do you call people who put nails in walls?" I didn't know, he said, "renters."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Sooooooooo.........I guess I better not post a picture of my chisels strewn all over my bench, then.......
    Yes, and it is the volume of chisels that don't show in the picture that has me realizing that I need to go up one more milk crate high, perhaps two crates high, to accomadate them all. Will post a new picture when all the chisels have a home

I'll have to share that quip with my landlord, thanks for the welcome!