Thread: Any deer hunters out there??

Any deer hunters out there??

Besides making sawdust, I'm a pretty avid bowhunter, spending time in the outdoors has always put me at peace. I've been hunting a really nice buck this fall and I finally put an end to my hunt. I'm pretty proud of this one its my best to date.

The second pic is my son, he was as excited as dad was, he gets to come hunting with me alot also, I take him to a different area where we see alot of does and small bucks, but I didnt take him with when I went to this bucks turf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This should be my first season out with my dad. On top of this i've started to shoot NRA bullseye match. Should also be getting out for mallards with the local taxidermist.

Nice buck Jeff! I was a pretty avid elk and deer hunter until 7 years ago. We hunted on foot and used horse and mules to pack out the elk. Deer.....we could bring those out on pack boards or drag them out.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is a beauty!!! Congrats.

I just moved here last year from Alaska.....hoping to catch the deer fever.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

From another bowhunter - that is one very nice buck! Hard to get an older deer like that during early bow season. But, I would imagine that your rut kicks in a little earlier than ours. We expect to start seeing does in estrous within the next week or so.

Good to see you are bringing your son up to be a hunter - unfortunately, not many do that these days.

Congratulations.

Jeff,

Congrats on a nice buck. I'd be curious as to how it would score. I've been bow hunting for about 7 years and have only bagged one deer. I guess I have to say I'm really particular about the shots and won't take it if it doesn't look really good. I just got a different crossbow last year and am anxious to try it out. Went out yesterday to check on stands with a hunting buddy and found 4 active scrapes near our stands. I'm anxious to get out soon. I bought a trail camera recently and set it up about 35 yards from our house. Mainly have been seeing a doe and two fawns but am waiting to see what others are in the area. Lots of fun checking the pictures out. I actually like bow hunting better than gun as the weather is nicer and fall is my favorite time of the year. I attached a cute pic of a very curious doe that I got on my trail camera a few weeks ago.

Rob, I had him green scored on sunday 165 1/4" I wont have an official score for 60 days, there is a drydown time. My friend is a boone and crockett scorer he thinks he will loose 1 to 2 inches but should still gross well over 160".

Hi Jeff,
    Thats a beaut! I come from nothern Vermont where there's few and far between in that category you have in your hands.... anything with horns is a shooter per say.
    Now living in Missouri, there's deer everydamnwhere. BUT I'd not been able to hunt the last few years as the little dude at home was dead set against it. Well last fall, the little dude (our 6 year old boy FYI) told me he wanted a gun, to go to deer camp and hunt with me. No, no and yes were the answers. So we went on our first hunt... within less than 4 hours I had a 9 pointed of 200+ lbs lying on the ground, sun fast setting and a looooooong drag ahead of me. The pic is labeled 9 horner cause that's what the kid keeps calling it.
    Anyway, my fire has been rekindled and I can't wait for this years hunt. I'd had a new bow on the "list" for this fall, but domestic negotiations bought carpet & some furniture.
    Congrats on the nice deer and I love seeing your boy involved too. The next generation (and many of the current) are missing the boat on much of the greater outdoors. I have some of the fondest memories of my childhood at Dad's side in the woods or on the lake.
    Here's the result from my little dude's first hunt (which makes him think deer hunting is a breeze BTW ).

Greg

Wow... Jeff and Greg. Very nice bucks! Been hunting PA over 40 years and have had a good bit of success. But nothing the caliber of these big boys. Hoping to change that in a month or so. I'm taking my Grandson to Illinois for ourr first out-of-state hunt.

Terry

10. Nice!

I strictly bowhunt and the deer here are so hard to hunt, the closest I ever got was seeing one running off about 50 yards away. That is an awesome Buck! What I would give to be able to hunt Whitetail...

During last Winter we would feed around 27 deer every evening. This year we are not allowed to feed them due to chronic wasting disease.
    One evening last winter we heard a noise out in front of our property, a young woman had hit two deer with her car. Didn't damage her car much and didn't damage the deer visibly but it did kill them. She had to get a police permit to transport the deer. I helped load them into her trunk. She said she was headed home and her husband would be home before too long and he would skin them. I saw the woman in a pizza place the other day. I asked her if she got the deer out of her trunk before rigor set in. She said that she had them out of the trunk and skinned before her husband got home. Now that is a real Michigan woman for you. She also said that there were three deer, one of the deer was pregnant and it really bothered her that she had killed a mom.
    David B

Haven't had many opportunities to go out this bow season, but made it out Monday afternoon. Had turkeys come in all around me. I heard them coming and stood up. Decided to take a turkey having not seen any deer and dusk coming on.

Was watching the birds and saw a white tail flick. Followed the buck for several minutes as he browsed about 45 yards out. Had a hard time getting a clear shot at the buck, actually drew on him twice at about 35 yards - both times he stopped behind brush. The turkeys were getting nervous and vocal. That made the buck even more nervous - then he saw my truck sitting just over the rise!!

He bolted and ran downhill right behind the tree I was in. I spun around in my stand while drawing my bow, bleated at him, and nailed him at 4 yards with a spine shot. He dropped.

Not my best deer, but not bad for an early season kill. Now, I have shoptime!

Congratulations John! Very nice buck. Gotta love it when it all comes together like that.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I debated about shooting this buck as I killed a much larger buck on this farm a few years ago. I know they are there.

But, it is respectable, and I had already told my wife that my age was affecting my zeal for the hunt. At times, I have a hard time making the choice on shoptime or hunting. Wasn't the case a few years ago.

All of that was going through my head, including the new bench top I want to get done before winter. Not totally glad I took the opportunity, but I have also closed out seasons with no horns!! A buck in the hand...!

John,

Congrats ,nice buck, glad to see you had a good hunt. When it comes to bowhunting any deer is a trophy in my book.