Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Woodworking Shows - feedback please.

The Woodworking Shows - feedback please.

The Woodworking Show has had their first two shows of the 2008/2009 season in St. Paul and Portland, with the third Show scheduled this coming weekend (10/24 - 10/26) in Salt Lake City. There was talk last year about how the Shows would be better in 2008/2009, after the new owners had some time to work out the kinks. Those of us looking at the Show calendar would appreciate some feedback from people that have attended the early 2008/2009 Shows? Thanks.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries
    I would like to hear as well. I'll be going in March(?). It's only a few bucks to get in so I'll probably go regardless but it's nice to go prepared.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I went on the last day in Saint Paul. $9 at the door, cash only. In general, I think it's a rip-off to charge people to sell them access to vendors so they can buy things. IMHO, the vendors should pay (and I'm sure they do). If you buy online or in advance, I think tickets are $6.

There were some useful exhibits, but I didn't sit through any. You can find some deals, but nothing you can't get anywhere else. You might be able to see or try a few tools that you wouldn't otherwise be able to. The Veritas plans were really nice, and they had a full line at the show, for example.

If you plan to spend a lot of time there, it could be worth the price and time. If you'll just browse, browse online instead.

I bought a ZCI specifically for my table saw, and it's not close to the right size. (Have to call about that one.) Wood magazine gave out samples, and had an offer for 4 free issues.

Look at which vendors and exhibitors will be there and see if they match your interests.

Bump. Only one person went to the two most recent Woodworking Shows???
    Cave Creek, AZ

In Detroit, the Woodworking Show has lost their place this year at the Rock Financial Expo Center in Novi, MI (where it is usually held) and they are having it way up north in Mount Clemens, for some reason I don't know why.

And to replace it at the place where the old Woodworking Show was, there is a new woodworking show in town, it's called Woodworks:

I did notice a noticeable drop off in attendance in ’07 compared to ’06, and some of the local woodworking dealers I have talked to are going to woodworks not the woodworking show.

http://www.woodworksevents.com/
    Last edited by Daniel Hillmer; 10-23-2008 at 7:15 PM.

I went to the Portland show last weekend. I wnet about 3 years ago an was throughly disappointed. At the time I was looking for a planer and there were no good deals to be had. I spent about 1.5 hours there week last wondering around the various booths. Most of the booths were local with the exception of Peachtree and Woodline,and Lie Nielson(spelling?). None of the big tool mfgs. were there like Delta, Jet, etc, just local stores selling tools. I watched a Sawstop demo that was pretty impressive up close. I saw a pretty cool band saw fence called a MAG Fence (Al extruded fence with a lever to engage a magnet to hold it to the table) that the guys that were doing the Carter bandsaw accessories were using.

I wantde to se the new Unisaw but since Delta was not there, no dice. I had to pay $7 for parking and luckily had a free admission coupon from FWW or it would have been another $9. I got a couple of magazines for free and a FWW bag for free. I wasn't as disappointed as the first one I went to but this time I had lowered expectations. The last one I went to at least Delta had a huge stand. I told myself I wasn't going this year but I wanted to get out of the house. Next year I will probably stay home

Dave,

Haven't been yet this year, but I will be there. There may be a good deal here or there...maybe not. I always enjoy visiting with a concentrated group of woodworkers. I learn new lies every year!

Andy

Attended the Salt Lake show today. I was more than a little dissapointed. Not very many vendors. This was my first ww show so I do not know how many would make a good show, but for the price of admission it was dissapointing. I did find a couple of ok deals on a couple router bits I was looking for and a piece of aluminum angle for my router table fence. The classes/demonstrations I went to were way to heavy on the sales and advertising side and very lite on the education/skill side. On the positive side, I did do a lot of drueling. A lot of very nice tools to add to my wish list. If I was to decide to go or not, knowing what I know now, I don't think I would go, unless the admission fee was alot less.

gware

I attend the collinsville IL show in Feb. It is fun. I do not put too many requirements on it. I am pretty easy going when it comes to spending time looking at all things WW related.

Hi all,

I am considering going to the show in Salt Lake City tomorrow with one of my woodworking buddies. He has been at "Mouse World" all week with his grandkids so I am betting he can use some diversion to decompress.

I am going with reserved expectations an not really shopping for anything in particular. I am willing to invest about what I would otherwise spend on a movie ticket.

I'll make a report if I do indeed go.

Cary - Thanks for the feedback.

It is really disappointing to hear that there are no major vendors again this year. IMHO, it is the big guys, like Delta, PC, Dewalt, Steel City, Jet, etc make the Show interesting. I had heard last year that there would be many more big vendors, like there used to be. I guess it is not to be. More reports, please, especially from the Shows that people have attended this past month.

Daniel - In my experience, Woodworks is a small show. There are only three Woodworks shows scheduled for the entire season at this point.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 10-23-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Cave Creek, AZ

I went to the one in Somerset, N.J. last year with a friend. I'm mostly a carver and he's mostly a turner. There were a few interesting exhibitors, but we were not overly impressed with the show overall. Based on the number of commercial vehicles I saw in the parking lot, I think a large number of professional carpenter's/woodworkers really like these shows the most because they can find good deals on heavy duty power tools and other equipment there. But, I think that the hobbyist who specializes in one or two areas might be better off spending their time at events or in stores more specific to their particular interest....in my case, carving shows. My friend also observed that over the years at these particular shows, there are a lot more independent booths selling "gadgets", and fewer major manufacturers.
    Last edited by Vic Castello; 10-23-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typos

I live in Canada (Vancouver) so don't have access to the same shows you do.
    But I look on our show like going to a movie. Its a few hours of entertaniment and sometimes its good and sometmies not so good.And if you really like it you can re-enter for free (try that at a movie)

My criteria for it being good or not seems to be if I buy something.(other than consumables like sandpaper) And I generally only buy something at the show I can't get locally in the stores.

I DON"T go to the show with the intent of getting a bargain but rather with the intent of seeing some new product that I didn't know I needed. I don't care about the latest Bosch 36 v drill because I can see those at my local dealer.

This year our show moved into a new facility that gave it a much more professional feeling and because the venue was larger it wasn't as crowded. That was nice.

Incidently, a few years ago my neigbor and I decided to go to the woodworking show in Seattle because we thought it would be bigger and better. Nope, not as good so maybe some of you should try and catch a show in Canada(if you live close)

Fred M

Dave, since the Ft. Washington Convention Center was converted to offices, all the "hobbyist" shows moved a lot farther away from me so I haven't been to one in a couple years. This is a tough time for these kind of events and has been for a few years. At this point, I enjoy the "industrial" woodworking shows better simply because they have many kewel things to look at that you never see at the consumer shows. I don't generally go to a show to buy anything, either, as with rare exceptions, online deals are the same or better. One exception would be if there is intent to buy something from one of the Euro manufacturers...pre-ordering at the show price and taking delivery at the show can be a very, very good deal. I've done that a couple times.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    We have one here in Costa Mesa next week. I am planing to go and I will report back. I am just shopping and looky lewing
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"