Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

I've been doing it for over 30 years. I've never woke up and said "Yeah! I'm gonna shave today, fun and pleasure rolled into one".
    I suspect shaving is the number one reason many people become religious in those religions that dont allow shaving.

I do like shaving once it gets to the stage where it itches. But other than than I could take a pass.
    Use the fence Luke

Never. In fact, I have a beard, and the cheeks/neck where I do shave may go a few days and look scruffy if I don't have any business meetings to do.

When I do shave it's brush and soap in mug, because I can't stand the smell of the canned shaving foam/creams.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I do like shaving once it gets to the stage where it itches. But other than than I could take a pass.
    I shave when a)my wife shames me into it or b) when Doug shaves.
    The itch will drive me nuts eventually, though I have found that if you can get through the itchy phase.. you're good for another 10 days or so.
    Seriously, I shave MAYBE once a week whether I need it or not.

Blog Entries
    I wore a beard for a number of years and definitly preferred it to shaving. i currently shave but would love to get my hands on some of that 'Star Trek' beard retardant stuff instead.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I attempt suicide every morning.....standing there with razor to my throat......do I enjoy it......Nope

BUt on long weekends.....3 days without shaving sure makes my skin feel better but after 3 days......yup....it starts to itch.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I never get that itching problem, even after a week.

No I don't enjoy shaving. I don't like having a bit of scruff, and my wife and my work prefer I don't have a full beard, so I'm stuck with it for the time being. When I was in college and I didn't have a wife or work, I often let my beard grow out.

Same with the itch. I let it grow up to the point where it gets long enough that the ends of the hairs can rub back on the skin and cause the itch. This is about 3-4 days for me.

If I shave in under 3 days it is rough on my baby face. No clue why, but when the hair is longer (3-4 days) the shave is typically much smoother for me. The shorter the hair, and the more it feels like I am shaving my skin instead of my hair.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    ...Seriously, I shave MAYBE once a week whether I need it or not.
    I shave when Greg shaves Twice in the same week would be for some sort of special occasion - dinner with Hef's girls, or something of that sort.
    Use the fence Luke

I've got to think that there's an easier way than taking a blade to your face. Something like Nair. Why wouldn't that work for men.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

In the summer of 1980, I read in a veterinary column in the newspaper where a question was asked whether or not a dog's coat should be sheared because of the heat during that record breaking summer. The answer was absolutely not. The dog's coat helps protect from the sun and the heat.

My thought was if it works for dogs, it'll work for me. That was the last time I was "clean shaven". Every so often, I'll trim it back a little but that's the limit.

BTW, the veterinarian was right.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

[quote=Doug Shepard;950628]Twice in the same week would be for some sort of special occasion - dinner with Hef's girls [quote]
    Twice in the same week....Still referring to shaving right?
    Awww man, next time I shave twice in a week the wife will know what's up! Damnit Doug...
    Oh wait, me shaving twice in a week? Never going to happen. Wife knows and accepts it.
    And this time of year I don't visit the barber on a regular 3-4 week schedule (usually keep it high n tight like #3 on a clipper I think), but I like the extra insulation on my noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    In the summer of 1980, I read in a veterinary column in the newspaper where a question was asked whether or not a dog's coat should be sheared because of the heat during that record breaking summer. The answer was absolutely not. The dog's coat helps protect from the sun and the heat.

My thought was if it works for dogs, it'll work for me. That was the last time I was "clean shaven". Every so often, I'll trim it back a little but that's the limit.

BTW, the veterinarian was right.
    That depends. I've gotten that answer from both the vet and groomers on MY dogs coat, and that they shouldn't shave her. Apparently this is true for what they call double-coated dogs which have an inner dense layer of fur then an outer guard hair coat. Those are the ones that suffer from the heat when shaved. A lot of breeds just have a single coat that's more like hair than fur though, and those apparently do cool off in the summer if shaved.
    Use the fence Luke

Dogs can get skin cancer. Shaving their coats exposes their skin to the sun and dog's skin is particularly sensitive to the sun.