Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

I should shave every day, but I don't. I get razorburn like crazy if I attempt to shave more than two days in a row, I have to give my skin a couple days to heal up, no matter what I use.

2. Technically, a safety razor is a kind of plane...

Nah-- still don't like shaving.

I have to shave everyday, no choice about it. Ever since the Navy outlawed beards in the mid-80's we have been a clean shaven force. Mustaches are allowed, though neatly trimmed.

Do I like to shave - like everyone else - NO. On weekends I don't unless I have something official to do.

I've tried every manner of hair removal as well. And they are all just as dis-pleasurable.

Oh, and don't think of using Nair on your face. That stuff is a highly caustic base. Your face is much more sensitive than legs and you'd wind up with a really nasty rash, even if you use the "bikini line" formula. I've treated many patients for it!

Be well,

Doc

I have to shave most days to look respectable. I don't have the genes for a good beard, because if I did, I would look like Dusty Hill since I hate shaving. My almost two year old thinks my electric razor is the best thing in the world and tries to mimic me shaving. Poor kid has no idea that fate that awaits him.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Hmmm...shaving doesn't really bother me. My wife doesn't mind a bit of scruff, so I shave maybe twice a week in the spring and summer. When I do shave, I do so before my morning shower (natural oils help with lubrication), using Gillette sensitive-skin formula foam and the Sensor 3 razor. Any nicks or razor burn go away in the shower. In the winter, I grow a beard for a little added protection from the cold, but I keep it between 3/8" (freshly cut) and ~1" (about a month later). A couple times a week I use a sideburn trimmer and electric razor around the edges and to keep the moustache out of my mouth.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Don't like to shave. Don't like my wifes displeasure with NOT shaving more!
    So I shave every day. I think I like my appearance overall better shaven then not, though.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

I'm ambivalent about shaving, but it's a necessary thing...to keep the girls (daughters) off my back in the complaint department and to, well...look respectable for work, especially since I'm already anti-tie...

I did just recently go for nearly two months avoiding it outside of keeping the neck neat. A combination of a few weeks of vacation and a "no-travel" month for work allowed for that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hate to shave so much that I have seriously considered the laser treatment that is designed to kill hair follicles permanently. If it weren't so expensive I would have done this already. (The process was created to eliminate the need for women to shave their legs. I figure it would work fine on my face.)

The real injustice is the fact that I started going bald at the tender age of 23. I've got very little left up top now that I am 30. I think by the time I hit 35 I will have a true "Friar Tuck" look going on. That is just criminal. I've got hair that grows on my back, neck, shoulders, chest, ears, nose, face, etc. that I absolutely do not want or need, but the one small place on my body where I would LIKE to have hair (on top of my head) is thinning out at breakneck speed. There is no justice I tell ya...
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Shaving is something you do, not something you enjoy. I never shave on the weekends. I use an electric shaver, as a blade kills my skin.
    The summer after I graduated from Baylor, I grew a beard. Wife hated it at first while it was growing out. About Thanksgiving, I decided to shave it off, and she cried the whole time. My problem with a beard, is I don't have much in the sideburn area, so for a full beard, I have to have my hair a lot longer than I wear it now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

LOL Tim, you sound like me. I am in exactly the same boat except I am already 35 and yes, it does continue. The small rim of hair around the sides and back of my head is luxurious though .

On the bright side, my hair lasted just long enough for me to meet my wife and get her hooked on me, around 23 also. Must be a gene survival thing or something.

Don't care for it much here either. Back in the day when I was doing the tie and starched shirt thing I started shaving with my nightly shower instead of with my morning one and it cut down on the burn a lot. I don't do it on the weekend unless SWMBO and I are going somewhere - and even then it better be somewhere fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Bittick View Post
    Technically, a safety razor is a kind of plane...

More like a pull shave.

I like the result, but dragging a sharp steel blade(s) across my face in the morning isn't an ideal way to start the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    I have to shave everyday, no choice about it. Ever since the Navy outlawed beards in the mid-80's we have been a clean shaven force. Mustaches are allowed, though neatly trimmed.
    My father retired from the Navy in 1981 and had a full beard/mustache the whole time...and he still does to this day.

I shave M, W, F and that is it. That is about all I and my skin can handle. If I could grow any facial hair worth a darn, I'd do it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I've had this beard since 1978, although the color has faded somewhat!! Takes me longer to shave in the morning than without a beard. Trouble is my wife has never seen me without the beard. Were I to shave the beard, she would surely see what a bad deal she has made and leave me.

But, the answer to the question in NO - shaving is a necessary evil.