Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

On the subject of shaving....it's a necessary evil and in my case.....I tried growing facial hair when Zumwalt became CNO and authorized beards. I tried growing one.....the hair on my chin came in black....around my mouth it came in white......from a 5' away I looked like a 2 year old who'd eaten a chocolate covered ice cream cone.

Even just a mustache.......white around the corners......black near the nose.......same ice cream cone effect....

Recently I tried again.......well guess what.......WHite on the chin......white under the nose......black near the corners of my mouth......

So I shave daily.

But now as I get older...it's the hair growing in my ears....on the outside of my nose and down my neck that bothers me........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I do not like shaving, however I have made it more enjoyable. At the ripe old age of 27 (about 2 years ago) my face was getting very irritated with all contemporary shaving methods, electric, mach 3, 4,5 20, etc... So I started looking for alternatives when I stumbled onto badger and blade. There are more out there too. It is an internet forum for "wet shavers" that use more traditional methods. These include old time safety razors and straight razors. I was intrigued by all of the banter and I had to try it.

I must say, all the nice smells, different creams and balms and everything has made it more enjoyable. Oh, and my face rarely gets irritated to boot. Some of the people that use these older tools are just like the people here where it almost becomes a hobby and a collection rather than a chore.

I implore each of you to check it out. I now have 4 safety razors, 2 straight razors, 4 badger hair brushes (handles turned on my lathe), and a number of creams and balms.

Just a thought, you might want to check it out.
    Matthew Poeller

Honestly, I don't mind doing it.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    Is that you or your avatar's opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    Is that you or your avatar's opinion?
    My avatar does not have opinions.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Poeller View Post
    I do not like shaving, however I have made it more enjoyable. At the ripe old age of 27 (about 2 years ago) my face was getting very irritated with all contemporary shaving methods, electric, mach 3, 4,5 20, etc... So I started looking for alternatives when I stumbled onto badger and blade. There are more out there too. It is an internet forum for "wet shavers" that use more traditional methods. These include old time safety razors and straight razors. I was intrigued by all of the banter and I had to try it.

I must say, all the nice smells, different creams and balms and everything has made it more enjoyable. Oh, and my face rarely gets irritated to boot. Some of the people that use these older tools are just like the people here where it almost becomes a hobby and a collection rather than a chore.

I implore each of you to check it out. I now have 4 safety razors, 2 straight razors, 4 badger hair brushes (handles turned on my lathe), and a number of creams and balms.

Just a thought, you might want to check it out.

Now this is intriguing, Matt! Gimmie more...how about some links to stuff you have? I deplore shaving and do it MWF because my face simply can't handle doing it more due to irritation.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

HOW does everyone shave? I first lather up and shave down or with the growth direction to remove most of the whisker...then rinse...relather...then shave up or against the growth direction to get the closest shave possible. This is rough on my neck which seems to grow hair like wild-grain cherry or something!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Whats shaving

Last time I shaved er off, which lasted for a week, I went into work [1984] one morning and no one knew who I was for about 30 minutes.

Chris, it seems your neck irritation would be less if you didn't go at it so hard. If I shaved twice on my neck I don't believe I could shave everyday either. Particularly if I have to wear a tie that day - which is about 2-3 out of 5 days most weeks. I have to be careful shaving "against the grain", too. That really is rough, although on my neck I do to some degree - but gently.

And Ken, I can remember - though faintly - the days of black/white beard. Mine was starting to turn white from the temples down, and from the corners of my mouth out in 1978 when I first grew the beard. Had some wierd looking beard for a few years, but it all turned pretty quickly.

In an effort to make the obscenely expensive Mach-3 blades last longer (not entirely sarcastic), I shave once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    Finally! I'm going through this thread and couldn't believe all the shaving hate!

Shaving is just what you do in the morning, like brushing my teeth and putting on deodorant. I can't say that either is that thrilling an exercise, but the results are worth it.

Frankly, I don't like the itch of stubble, and being clean shaven just makes me feel clean and ready for the day. I'd sooner skip the morning shower than the shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    HOW does everyone shave? I first lather up and shave down or with the growth direction to remove most of the whisker...then rinse...relather...then shave up or against the growth direction to get the closest shave possible. This is rough on my neck which seems to grow hair like wild-grain cherry or something!
    People have different quality beards, Chris. Mine's not that thick. I don't get much 5 o'clock shadow, though it's definitely there by morning. I go up the the chin, down the cheek, and pull the skin tight as it goes under the knife. I then feel for rough spots on the chin and give them a second go -- usually the skin is still slick with the soap even though it looks clear.

Other than that, I much prefer something like Gillette Foamy -- I hate the gel-type shaving cream. It gums up between the blades of my Trac-II razor and seriously impairs the quality of cut. Foam-type soap rinses out much easier between swipes, so I get a better cut. I find that blades last a few weeks and then start to "pull" which tells me it's time for a new one.

I've tried electric's - both the "I liked it so much I bought the company" remington, and the triple-rotary-head type. They don't cut as close, and contrary to the marketing hype, are no faster than using a blade.

... clean-shaven art
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I shave M, W, F and that is it. That is about all I and my skin can handle. If I could grow any facial hair worth a darn, I'd do it.
    Similar for me, but only about twice if I can get away with it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Shaving gets to be a PITA at times. I usually have a full beard, and keep it trimmed once a week to the shortest clipper insert on hair clippers. LOML stated that since my beard is white that I look like I could pass for her father, so I shaved. Now that winter is coming on, I do think it's time to re-grow. I do take spurts and will shave just for something different. No skin irritations for me, in fact the small areas that I do shave with a beard, I usually dry shave after a shower. Now the nose & ear hair, plus bushy eyebrows that come with age do take some time once a week with the weed-eater. I am getting thinner on top in areas as I can feel the breeze now. But I don't have to do the "cue-ball cover up" as of yet. Genetically I am destined to lose it all. I am fortunate not to be in that position yet, although all three of my younger brothers have felt the force of genetics.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Chris,

I was debating on just sending you a PM but I thought this might benefit everyone that might be interested.

There is so much out there about shaving once you get away from the "Mach 3" that I do not know where to start.

The first thing that I mentioned was badger and blade. It is a forum for wet shaving and honestly the best resource out there for the beginner. Just google badger and blade. I do not think that I can link to another forum per the TOS.

There are a bunch of youtube videos out there. I would first suggest the ones by mantic59. He is a regular on the shaving forums.

I think this is the article that actually got me started. I was looking for a way to get less irritation when I shave and I stumbled on this article.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

This guy is a bit weird but he loves to shave and has some good information:
    http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2006...ng-experience/

Another good article:
    http://zenhabits.net/2007/12/the-zen...nge-your-life/

I will not even get into all the creams and soaps and etc. One nice place to look at gear is on www.classicshaving.com. The one soap that is probably my favorite is ERASMIC from the UK. Now how could you not like shaving with a cream with that name!!!

With all that said, I still do not shave everyday but that is more of a function of the closeness of the shave that I get when I shave with more traditional methods. With a "mach 3" or alike I had to shave everyday to look presentable, sometimes twice a day. I have a very thick beard and a sensitive face which is not a good combination. So with the more traditional methods, I do not have to shave everyday and that makes my face more happy. It in general is not my favorite thing to do, but it surely is a more pleasurable experience now.

My setup: water boiler thingy from walmart to make sure I have wicked hot water and plenty of steam to open the pores on my face. I have a newer Merkur HD (classicshaving.com), the Merkur travel razor (my favorite, classicshaving.com), an older Gillette Fatboy Adjustable (also a fine instrument), and an older Gillette superspeed (my least favorite. I have various creams and balms. My favorite cream, Erasmic. My favorite balm/aftershave, Geo F. Trumper's Coral Skin Food. Then the brushes I have are all silvertipped badger hair imported from China with handles turned by me (http://www.mpoeller.com/shave_brushes.htm for some of my work).

I usually do 3 passes, one with the grain, one against the grain and then one cleanup for the little spots that I missed previously.
    Last edited by Matthew Poeller; 10-22-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: More Content
    Matthew Poeller

Dichotomy?

Hello,
    When I was going on 17, I couldn't wait to shave.
    Now that I'm going on 57, I can't wait till the day I don't have to shave.

Since I'm going to get creamated & don't plan on any foolish waste of money on a big send off (viewing & all that), it doesn't matter to me if I :
    a.) croak off
    b.) retire.

Either way, I figure I'm done with the morning ordeal.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...