Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

I haven't touched a razor since 1970. I started shaving at age 12 and by high school, if I didn't shave at noon the principal would get on my rear about it. A different time back in the 60s!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I do like shaving once it gets to the stage where it itches. But other than than I could take a pass.
    Yup....same here. I can only take the itch for just so long...THEN it's shaving time.!!!! BTW, I do NOT like shaving at all....well...about as much as I like cleaning up my shop.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

3. Only if she's really cute.

I shave once a week unless I have a presentation to do or something to that effect. since no one will see me except for my little group of co workers back here in the hole. Usually by the third day I'm itching but I put it off until Friday so that I look good for the weekend and the wifey! I used to shave every day, but I figured that I looked worse with red, irritated blotchy skin than some stubble.

My preferred means of shaving is at a barber shop. When I lived in Florida, there was one barber shop in town that still did shaves. It's 100 times better than anything Gillette or Schick will ever market to us.

Problem is, at $5 at least three times a week, it gets a little pricey. I have problem enough justifying my tool budget. Spending $780 a year so I don't have to shave myself is a wee bit extravagant.

http://www.classicshaving.com has everything necessary to ditch gilette forever, but prepare for sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rafael View Post
    I've been doing it for over 30 years. I've never woke up and said "Yeah! I'm gonna shave today, fun and pleasure rolled into one".
    I suspect shaving is the number one reason many people become religious in those religions that dont allow shaving.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    When I lived in Florida, there was one barber shop in town that still did shaves. It's 100 times better than anything Gillette or Schick will ever market to us.

Problem is, at $5 at least three times a week, it gets a little pricey. I have problem enough justifying my tool budget. Spending $780 a year so I don't have to shave myself is a wee bit extravagant.
    $5 is a bargain. There are 2 places in my neighborhood that shave you and get ready for this sticker shock......$45 plus tip.

For $5 I would treat myself once in a while, for $45 never.

I have just made the transition from a Mach 3 turbo to a safety razor and it is much better than shaving with a Mach 3. It is cheaper than using the Mach 3 and it gives a better shave. There is a little bit of a learning curve to use a safety razor but the extra money and quality of the shave is worth it.

Here is a forum dedicated to wet shaving that will help anyone to get a better shave. www shavemyface com

Marty

Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-23-2008 at 8:58 PM. Reason: Removed direct link to another forum - Prohibited by TOS

No I do not usually like it too much. That is compounded by the fact that I like to shave in the shower. It is always a gamble whether my wife used my razor on her legs or not.
    That hurts!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barron View Post
    I have just made the transition from a Mach 3 turbo to a safety razor and it is much better than shaving with a Mach 3. It is cheaper than using the Mach 3 and it gives a better shave. There is a little bit of a learning curve to use a safety razor but the extra money and quality of the shave is worth it.

Here is a forum dedicated to wet shaving that will help anyone to get a better shave.

Marty

http://www.shavemyface.com/
    I used a safety razor for years, the Mach3 I use now is far bettter for me.

Yea, I'm happy with the Mach3...and it's MUCH better than those 4 and 5 bladed thingies that come in the mail sometimes. Fits my facial curves better.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe a little off the topic of this thread, but related nonetheless; are there any mammals other than the human in which the pattern of hair growth is so different between the male and female of the species, particularly facial hair?
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

No one else has mentioned this, so I will. I shave in the shower. I soap up my face and leave it soaped up while I do the rest of my business in the shower, then turn off the water, soap up again and shave. My beard is quite easy to shave by then and I don't get much irritation. I' use a cheap "Gellette Good News! Plus". They last me a month or two of shaving every other day.

I like to shave very close, so I can't feel any bristle at all. So I hit every surface both with and against the grain at least once. If I'm in a hurry, a single scrape gets most of it.

Anyone know how do they make disposable razor blades? Is it a grinding process like we do with tools, or is it something different?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John,

I shave in the shower as well and so totally shave by feel as I have no mirror (I shower at work 5 days/week) and I do the same thing...shave until it feels smooth and not like 120 grit. My throat really pays for it on my bike commute home from sweating...stings a bit...so I try to do as few swipes as possible but my throat is the toughest one to get with that darn lump of an Adam's apple--kinda like a knot in a piece of wood.

There is a show called How do they do it? that did a small segment on how disposible razor blades are made. It goes along pretty much as you think: long rolls of sheetmetal that get die-stamped (cut and formed) and the edges are ground sharp through a few stones (or whatever) and then they are cut from the strip and inserted/pressed into the head.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Anyone know how do they make disposable razor blades? Is it a grinding process like we do with tools, or is it something different?
    A couple months ago, I saw a (I think) "How It's Made" episode on knives and sharpening. Yes, razor blades are ground (by machine, automatically), but I don't recall the full process. Apparently, they are pretty much the sharpest metal objects on the planet, short of the tip of a tunneling electron microscope, where the tungsten tip is exactly one atom wide.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Egad. I did my weekly ritual last night and look like I shaved with my cat
    No fewer than 5 nasty nicks on a brand new blade. Two of them wouldn't stop bleeding for several hours. Maybe them SawStop folks can figure out a safe way to do this?
    Use the fence Luke