Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually enjoy shaving?

You can enjoy Shaving

Matthew Poeller in post # 40 is definitely on the right track.

I enjoy shaving. That said, it takes at least a double edge safety razor, shaving cream or shaving soap and some effort to learn a technique that works for the variables that apply to you situation. I found the techniques I use at age 64.

I would add The Shave Den as a good resource website in addition to those already given. If you take the time to look, they are a lot like Sawmill Creek. Plenty of people willing to try products and techniques and share the results. The available products and tweaks on how to use them endless.

Personally my choice is the Roberts Method of Wet Shaving and the Hydrolast products sold by Charles Roberts.

Jim

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haddox View Post
    Matthew Poeller in post # 40 is definitely on the right track...I found the techniques I use at age 64.
    Jim, based on your experience, I only have 30 years to go before I can get that technique down.

Actually, I resisted buying the Gillette "let's add a blade a year" brand for a long time. A part of me still thinks that 5 blades on one razor head is a little ridiculous. But, I was in a bind while traveling, and Walgreens had a deal on a Gillette Fusion: handle and blades for ~$4. I actually got a great shave out of it, and have since been suckered into buying the $11 packages of blade refills. They last a long time, but I know I have been complicit in a marketing scam... anyway, it works really well for me. Now, I place a lot of value on the old "tried and true" way of doing things, so it has no emotional appeal to tradition and history whatsoever. But, I can get a great shave in 5 minutes, so until I have more time to devote to morning rituals, I will probably stick with the Gillette.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    http://www.classicshaving.com has everything necessary to ditch gilette forever, but prepare for sticker shock.
    After getting inspired there, LOML treated me to a badger hair brush and a variety of scented shaving soaps. Even though I only get it out a couple times a month, shaving that way really is enjoyable. I still use a Mach 3 with it. Haven't felt a need to switch to a pearl handled straight razor just yet... but the neanders here might like the linen/leather strop for their planes.

And for the one who suggested SawStop get into this: That's what I need; my razor to retract and self destruct when I get nicked. I don't think so!

I use a soap mug, brush and a safety razor to shave every morning, except on weekends.

No, I don't enjoy it.

However, I do enjoy being shaved by my barber when I'm in for a hair cut. The steaming hot towel, the soap from the mug (nowhere near as thick as a spray foam), and the straight razor makes for an incredible shave. Far better than any other razor I've ever used.

My barber uses a straight razor, and only shaves the area on you face where she has stretched your skin, by shaving between her thumb and finger. I think that's what probably different at home, we use a partially dull razor, and don't stretch the skin in the area where we're shaving.

A shave is $5 alone, or $2 added to a hair cut. What a bargain.

Regards, Rod.

5. Saw this photo and this thread came to mind...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It'a all in the tools, same as woodworking

I do actually do enjoy shaving. One has to have the proper tools, i.e.:
    Badger brush (most important tool)
    Good shaving soap (2nd " " )
    Double edge safety razor
    Quality double edge blades
    Aftershave/balm

With these I look forward to every shave. Below is a link explaining better than I can. Shaving is normally such an ordeal, every man should at least explore "wet shaving". For a relatively modest amount of money, one can transform a recurring misery into an experience.

Spend five minutes and click on below link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

Have fun,
    terry

I see this thread has been resurrected for Halloween.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

8. It's like taking a dump. Ya gotta do it.
    If ya don't the birds nesting will drive ya crazy.

I have many times thought about hooking up jumper cables off a car battery to each of my ears hoping the hair would fall off.

I had a shaved head for 8 years before I met my wife. While we dated she told me she didn't care about the bald head. After we married, hummmmmm, that changed. If the hair on my head and face would all fall out I would be a happy man. If Chemo didn't make you feel so terrible and be so hard on your body, I may try it to get rid of my beard and hair.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 10-27-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    It's like taking a dump. Ya gotta do it.
    What are you talking about - Ya gotta do it?!? There's nothing like a good dump!

And I'm actually half serious.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Angry

I have one for you: Several years ago my wife talked me into shaving under my arms!!!!!!!! That's worse than the face any day I'm hear to tell you. When it starts growing back, it will just about drive you nuts!!!!!!!
    I think I'd rather shave my crotch that ever do that again.

Don't try this at home!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dennington View Post

Don't try this at home!!!!!!!

waaaaaayyyyyyy too much information.... [ME] backs away slowly... [/ME]
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I don't enjoy shaving every morning before heading out to work, because it's just a routine task.

I use a safety razor and a shaving mug, more enjoyable and environmentally friendlier than a can of foam.

However, I really enjoy being shaved when I go to the barber. Steaming hot towels, hot shaving soap, a sharp straight razor, and a shave that's the smoothest imaginable.

It's a combination of hot towels and soap to soften the beard, then the barber stretches the skin on your face between his fingers, and shaves you.

It's the best $3 I ever spend.........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    It's like taking a dump. Ya gotta do it.
    If ya don't the birds nesting will drive ya crazy.
    Where are they building that nest? Yikes!

Let's see - the last time I shaved was July, 1974 and I don't think I enjoyed it all that much. SWMBO has never seen the chin(s) and suggested that I shave just so she could. Won't say what I suggested in response . The couch is really very comfortable.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.