Thread: Excalibut scroll saw question

Excalibut scroll saw question

I'm new to scroll saws and have a couple of newbie questions.

I just bought a used Excalibur EX 30 VS scroll saw and have a couple of questions (see pictures) that I can't find answers for in the manual:

1. In the first picture (99.jpg) you can see a cable coming out of the back of the motor housing. What is this and is there a reason for it hanging out?

2. In the same picture you can see a small pulley attached to the table. I have another of these loose in a bag of small parts. What is it used for and does it relate to the cable in question 1?

3. In the second picture (100.jpg) I show what appears to be a foot pedal that attaches to the saw table. What is it used for? Is it related to the pulleys in question 2? (I have a seperate foot pedal to control the variable speed.)

Thanks in advance for the guidance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a device to hold up the upper arm of the saw. Good for top feeding of the blade. The Dewalt saw was designed and made by the same company and some use this accessory by Jim Dandy products to support the upper arm.

In your pic the wire looks to me like a electric wire with a wire nut. Is it?

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Cable

Thanks for the reply. No, it's a metal cable (similar to a throttle cable on a lawnmower) with a hook on the end.

I have the same saw. The foot pedal in your second photo is attached to the frame of the stand near the floor. Then a cable is run from the foot pedal, through the pulley and attaches to the cable coming out o the back of the saw. Then, all you have to do is push on the pedal with your foot to raise the upper arm of the saw to change blades, move the blade from one pilot hole to another (in your project) or whatever. This leaves both hands free to change blades or maneuver your project. It's very handy. I can't remember if you have to drill holes in the stand or if they are already there. If you need to see pics of how mine is mounted, PM me and I will forward some to you. Good luck. You're gonna love that saw.

Jim

Great! Exactly what I was hoping for

Thanks for the information. I was hoping that was what it was for. I've sent a PM, I would love to see some pictures.