Thread: Brushing lacquer?

Brushing lacquer?

I am making a cherry coffee table and doing some preliminary finishing on the wood before it's all put together.

I am starting the linseed oil (no stain), then shellac on top of that. I plan to use something stonger over the shellac, but not sure what. At first I was going to use a varnish -- not sure what varnish yet, and I don't mind suggestions.

However, I know that generally you guys (and Flexner in his book, which sits in glory on the can for continual re-reading) say that lacquer works best overall for depth, ease of rubbing out, and repair. However, I don't have spray equipment and don't plan to get any. I saw some brush lacquer made by cabot today at the Lowes nearby; it says it dries to touch in 30 minutes, which is slower than shellac and I think might work.

Anyone have advice for varnish vs brush lacquer or any experience with this?

Thanks.

(PS -- I live in Florida, and my shop is an unheated/non air conditioned garage. Although temperate now, it can get over 90 degrees easily. Solvents dry faster here and I can't brush shellac without brush marks)
    Last edited by Mike Schueler; 10-25-2008 at 4:09 PM.

Stay with the shellac or move to varnish. (Must be non-poly varnish if you used waxy shellac, although non-poly is better anyway for clarity and hardness) The solvents in lacquer will likely attack the products you've already put on the project, especially a brushing lacquer that goes on thicker and dries slower than a spray lacquer. And unless you have proper ventilation and safety gear, you don't want to be using lacquer anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the reply. It's really what I needed to know.

Now, I would like to know if anyone has a favorite varnish. I visited rockler, lee valley, woodcraft and a few other websites looking for a varnish, but strangely either they have a varnish/oil blend (which I don't want, since it already has BLO), or polyurethane. That's it.

Anyone have a favorite "go to" varnish that they can tell me where I can buy it?

Thanks!

Waterlox Original. Stuff is great.

But but but -- it's a varnish oil blend, is it not? If so, why did I bother with BLO? I am mostly looking for a layering finish on top of shellac on top of BLO that is as clear as possible. Some yellowing is OK, but I don't even want UV protection (no stain or dye, just cherry that I want to watch change over the years).

Is waterlox something that fits the above? I hope I'm not being to annoying, it's just that I spent many, many hours sanding and smoothing this surface, and I hate to think of putting something on it that's going to make that work not worthwhile.

No, Waterlox is varnish plain and simple and an excellent product.

Another good choice is Pratt and Lambert #38.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...