Thread: Byrd/DW735 update

Blog Entries

Byrd/DW735 update

For those waiting for their heads and those who havent tried them yet, Changing speeds to the finishing cut DOES improve cut quality, dust collection and seems to not work the motor as hard.

FWIW....

Brent

Received mine, installed easily and cuts great.

When the planer is running now the noise is reduced significantly. The loudest noise is the air from the fan. When cutting the added noise is more of a low buzz with none of the irritating whine that was present before.

First wood cut was Marblewood and the chips were more like a fine sawdust. The cut does seem to pull the motor down more than the old head. Did I say that the noise is much less.

The install was easy and straight forward and the instruction and illustrations on Holbren's web site were flawless. The only uncommon tool required is a pair of Snapring Pliers and the only stubburn step was removing the drive pinion from the old head. I had to clamp mine in a vise between two Nylon blocks to unscrew it from the head.

Only two small issues. The planer now seems more prone to snipe than before but I think that biasing the end tables up upward may solve this and there is a small ridge in the cut about two-thirds of the distance across from the pulley end. The ridge is not visible but it can be felt. Other than tah the cut is satin smooth.

All in all the head change makes a dramatic difference in the planer and I almost forgot to say the noise is reduced both running empty and cutting.