Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodworks No longer showing?

Woodworks No longer showing?

I just checked my DVR listings and I do not see any further episodes of Woodworks showing. Has anyone heard anything about this? I ordered the extra cable package 2 months ago just to get DIY network, JUST to get woodworks and now it's gone! AKK!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Ben -

They made 96 episodes of Woodworks with the last taping in 2005. DIY has been running them as recently as last week. Don't know of DIY's coming schedule, but two episodes were on just last week.

Was fortunate enough to attend a woodworking seminar with David Marks on 10/6/08 here in Norfolk, VA. Very informative and enlightening. David is a real down to earth guy, easy to talk with and learn from.

Regards,
    Ted

yeah, i knew that production was over. I used to have a pile of them on my old DVR, but when I moved, I had to turn that one in. I don't know if it's possible to copy from a DVR to DVD or not. Either way, I'm quite down about the whole thing.

I was wondering the same thing. It's not on the schedule for DIY Network on their website anymore. It's a shame.

That's strange!!!!!! I have Dish Network with a DVR and just noticed that Wood Works did not tape on Friday or Saturay on DIY. It usually records 4 shows every week-end. I liked the show too, David Marks really showed with a little imagination how far you could push design and I liked his attutude about working with wood in its natural state instead of hogging out a knot or cutting a section away just because "thats what everybody else says to do".. That kinda ticks me off too. I tried searching 2 weeks on DIY and Wood Works is not there.

I checked the DIY network webpage. Wood Works is still listed but after last weekend it seems there are no other "upcoming episodes" listed on their webpage. It seems they are replacing the 10 am and 10:30 am time slot with the show "cool tools". I hate that show! It sucks.

Finding a way to communicate with Scripps Networks is nearly impossible. After nearly 10 minutes of digging around websites (an eternity given that most people view a web page for only a few seconds), I found a feedback form. I've written them encouraging them to both re-produce new wood works episodes and make the old ones available, both on air and on dvd. Maybe if we get a small grassroots thing going they will listen.

I did point them to SMC to search for David Marks to see just how respected he is in this community. Let's get something going!

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/newsle..._14234,00.html

-Ben

I also noticed Wood Works is now missing in action. I also pay $120 a year for a satellite upgrade package to get DIY specifically so I can see Wood Works. I know a lot of people have already seen all the Wood Works episodes, but I have not.

I sent an online comment on the DIY web page asking about Wood Works. I included that if the show is not coming back, I'll be dropping my satellite upgrage package, and thus dropping DIY.

The only other show I watch on DIY is New Yankee Workshop. Unlike Wood Works, NYW is still running on PBS. And all NYW are available on video.

It looks like they dropped Wood Works in favor of more episodes of "Hammered" and "Blog Cabin". Scripps is apparently run by a bunch of boneheads.

I had the episodes on High Def DVR.
    Lightning storm knocked out my DVR. When they came to fix it, or should I say repalce it.
    When the service man walked out with the old DVR, he walked out with my Woodworks episodes.

Today I received a reply from Scripps about Wood Works:

"Hello and thank you for your email.

The program Wood Works is currently on hiatus and not scheduled to air at this time. You may contact us toward the beginning of December and we would be happy to check on the status of this show."

So, does this mean they'll review their scheduling in December?

Pat,

I got the same email this afternoon as well. I was going to post it, but it looks like you beat me to it.

I still encourage everyone to fire off a quick email using the form linked above. At the very least it would be fantastic if they would make the shows available on DVD or allow David to distribute them through his website.

As an aside, the more I use the DIY website, the less I like it. I find it cumbersome to navigate and I hate the video starting without me wanting it to. FWIW, I also find the FWW website a very difficult site to navigate. Hard to find what you're looking for.

Be nice if they came out with the episodes on DVD, I started to record them and found out my recorder (or its operator) screwed up...O well

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

shot my letter off to the DIY network asking them to put David Marks back on the air.

Thanks for the link Ben - sent mine this am. However, I am betting it is a money issue for them. Shows like Blog Cabin are sponsored shows so the money flow goes the other direction, and they do draw an audience - just not this one.

Their long time viewers have probably seen every episode--many more than once. For months, maybe over a year I've been recording them and I just end up deleting them off my DVR because I'd seen them before. Unfortunately that means an already small demographic is reduced even further. Add to that the fact that a fair number of people say they didn't watch the show due to they style of the pieces or their perception of David Mark's personality (which from what I've read is nothing like what came out on the show.) Then the fact that DIY is part of an extra-cost package on both satellite services and who knows what on cable and you cut the potential audience even further. Since DIY is supposed to be a money-making enterprise a niche market doesn't help them meet their goals. My guess is that there just weren't enough people watching to justify running it.

Now if they would start producing new shows then that would be great and might bring back a lot of viewers. But based on some interviews I've read or seen with David Marks, my guess is that he'd probably not be the host as it was a LOT of work for him and things have really taken off since.

BTW, there is a new woodworking show that is pretty decent. But its not on your TV (well, it could be if you connect your computer or iPod to your TV.) Check out The Wood Whisperer. Its not as polished as Woodworks or New Yankee Workshop and it doesn't follow the traditional project-per-episode approach all the other woodworking shows have done. I've just started watching it and downloaded all the episodes while I was out of town and had access to an unlimited internet connection. I like what I've seen so far. On the project I've been following, a lot more time has been spent than any TV show would have ever spent going over details of design. And he didn't pre-build a prototype to work out any bugs. He deals with them as they come up the way we all would.