Thread: Sycamore - Firewood?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sycamore - Firewood?

So, I had these six 1x8x10' Sycamore boards stacked off by themselves in my shop. There has been alot of clutter around them for about a year so I didn't notice them twisting. I was cleaning up around them today and found that they had curves and crooks in them that would make a snake jealous.

Now the question is, are they any good for firewood or maybe kindling? That will be the last resort before I throw them on the waste burn pile.

The only bright side is they were bandsaw milled lumber so I'm only out 25 cents a board foot. The rest of the Sycamore cut that day was stacked under a load of Oak and still appears to be straight.

Paul, sycamore is in the maple family and burns very well, but not as hot as sugar maple. According to most charts, it produces about the same heat as soft maple. Check this chart http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...try/g05450.htm

By the way, sorry about the wood! Sycamore is apparently notorious for that.

Unless it's quarter sawn, Sycamore is pretty hard to keep straight. Even then it needs extra thought when used in a project.

Perry

Sycamore, like Red Elm (in my experiences) is very difficult to dry as lumber unless it is quarter sawn...and then..like mentioned earlier...careful thought and weight have to be added. However, Sycamore does make a nice firewood and burns very nicely.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks guys, thats what I needed to know. Oak is the wood of choice for firewood down here. I had the Sycamore sawed a couple of years ago when we were having Oak and Pecan sawed. The Sycamore logs that I had were a victim of hurricane Rita, we don't normally cut it unless its in the way.

The Sawyer did a great job quartersawing the Oak I'm surprised he didn't know to quartersaw the Sycamore. I guess its just the fact that its not that common for it to be used as lumber down here so maybe thats why he was not familiar with it. It was beautiful coming off the sawmill, bright red but it turned a dull tan/brown after drying.

My son brought in a couple Sycamore logs a while back off of a clearing job they had. They weren't that great of quality, they have too many limbs. I think I'll get him to split them for firewood. Next time we get some good clean logs (no limbs) I'll try having them quartersawn.
    Last edited by Paul Greathouse; 10-27-2008 at 10:07 AM.

How is sycamore for turning? I have a big chunk that I took from a tree that was cut down here a few years ago.

Ben, I really enjoyed the sycamore I turned. Turned a lot like maple, only is a bit harder.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Ben,

Sycamore turns really nice. Chuck up a piece and give it a spin. I believe you will like it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.