Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have good sources of Lumber in Colorado?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone have good sources of Lumber in Colorado?

Hey all, was wondering if any fellow Creekers have any good places they like to obtain lumber from in Colorado. I live just North of Denver a short way.

Thanks!

Sears trostel in fort Collins for every day wood.
    http://www.sears-trostel.com/

Collectors Speciality for the expensive, figured etc wood.
    http://www.cswoods.com/

Take care,
    Scott

Not sure if Ft Collins is too far for you but Sears-Trostel is where I get most of my lumber.

Paxton's has a good selection of S3S in many species, along with lots of mouldings and occassional, random selections of sheet goods. Apparently Austin's is good for rough-sawn, but I haven't tried them. Paxton's is expensive.

Paxton's has had anything I've ever asked about, in stock.

I've used Centennial Wood Co. for years while they were at their old location near I-25/Broadway. I haven't been to their new location yet, near 8th Ave and Zuni (just south of Mile High Stadium) but I imagine they're still a good place to shop. They don't appear to have a website, but here's a link with their information:
    http://ziphip.com/Centennial+Wood+Co...975p.home.html

My father uses a place called Austin Hardwoods which is closer to him. I've never been there but he recommends it. http://www.austinhardwoods.com/lumber.shtml

Hardwood Emporium in Golden

Singing Saw Mill off of Hwy 93 behind the old Rocky Flats on your way up to Boulder from Golden

Centennial Hardwood

Paxtons Hardwood

Sears Trostel in FC

There's another supplier in Longmont, but I can't recall the name at the moment.

I haven't been to any of the Denver of Fort Collins places, but I do know of:

Golden Hardwood Emporium 303-277-1488

- located bascially at the intersection of Highway 6 and I-70 in Golden. Good selection, run by a really helpful guy (I'm blanking on his name, but he's good people). Good selection of hardwoods, and willing to special order things he doesn't have. A lot of walnut, cherry, oak (all types), ash, maple, poplar, etc. He does have exotic woods, too, in smaller quantities. He serves as a supplier to a number of businesses, so he's fairly high volume. Prices are quite good, plus a discount if you're a memeber of the Colo Wooodworker's Guild. I shop here.

Diverse Hardwoods in Longmont (near downtown)

- smaller store, but also helpful folks. Less stock and prices are a bit higher than Golden Hardwood Emporium,, but if you're closer, worth the shorter trip.

Saw Mill on 93 (Between Lefarge gravel pit and Rocky Flats, just south of Boulder)

- I have never visited this place, but I called them a couple of years ago, and at that time, they only had dimensional lumber (2x4, 4x4, 4x6, etc.) and landscaping timbers. If anyone has visited them recently, or if they've expanded to hardwoods, I'd love to hear about it, as I live about 1.5 miles from them

How about in Pueblo / Springs, Canon City area?

You all did such a good job coming up with places for the Northern folks, any recommendations for those of us in the more southern area?
    Thanks
    Pat
    Middle of no where, Colorado

There is a guy named Dennis Miller in Westcliffe that sells cherry, maple, and various other rough cut hardwoods at very reasonable prices. I'm not sure of his phone # as it has been a year or so since I purchased from him. Over the last several years I have bought about 200bf of cherry and maple, mostly #2 common, but he is cool with letting you pick the boards you want. I also picked up some 8/4 very curly maple last time I went down. He may have ads in the Thrifty Nickel, etc.

Pat, Collectors specialites is in Gardner which isnt to far from you.

http://www.cswoods.com

Scott

12. The Centenial store on 37 th Has a sign saying wholesale only
    I don't know how serious that is

Walt

So Colorado Sources

Thanks Guys, one of these days (when my wife doesn't want to go along) I am going to Collectors Specialty. Looks to be about 90 miles away and I can go through Westcliffe so maybe I can find Dennis too.

Pat

Denver

I have been buying all of my wood from Austin Hardwoods. I have not bought any rough lumber, but I have purchased some S4S lumber and lots of sheet goods. I don't know how the prices compare, but they seem to have a good selection of sheet goods and hardwoods.

Sears Trostel in FC, Paxton in Denver were my 2 favs when I was still in FC / Loveland.

mike