Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Bit Brand Question

Router Bit Brand Question

I'm relatively new at this and am not familiar with all brands of tools. I have Freud and Vermont American bits but I am not familiar with Amana (I thought they made dishwashers ). I have an opportunity to buy an assortment at what seems to be a "too good to be true" price. Anyway, where does Amana fit in the quality pecking order? TIA.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

If i had to rate the ones I can think of off the top of my head, they would form three distinct groups:

Great:
    Whiteside
    Amana
    CMT
    ... some others I can't think of

Good:
    Freud
    Bosch
    Viper (those yellow ones at HD)
    Porter Cable
    ... lots of others in this category

Nail finders:
    Harbor Freight
    Pricecutter
    Woodcraft $5 bits
    Costco's special
    Craftsman
    ... LOTS fill this cavern. I pretty much avoid any that are super cheap.

Some folks may have perfectly good satisfaction with some of the bits i've listed poorly. My rankings are my opinion and surely some folks disagree. My experience tells me this ranking is pretty accurate.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Well, you have Amana at the top so maybe I am getting a deal. I don't want to take advantage of a new widow who is selling her late spouse's tools but I don't want to get ripped off either. Most of the bits seem new. I will probably offer her more then she is asking (averaging $10 each).
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I agree that Amana is in the top tier of router bits. You might want to look at some pricing online to get an idea as to what new ones sell for. I think, but am not sure, that Holbren.com sells them. I really don't know how to price previously owed but in like new condition bits.

Infinity Tools

Not to be a salesman for Infinity tools, i think Infinity is the best i ever used. Everything from door making bit sets,to roundover bits. Very satisfied with every bit i have of Infinity Tools.

Also have a good asortment of there saw blades to, very happy with them too.
    Just bot a 12" mitermax blade for may sliding miterbox, what a fantastic blade.
    Just my 2 cents.

For what it's worth, the Fine Woodworking 2008 Tool Review Issue reviewed router bits (here is an excerpt below):
    "Excellent"": Eagle, Whiteside, Lee Valley
    "Good": Bosch.
    "Fair": MCLS

Where do you folks think the Rockler branded bits fit into the groups? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Paldy View Post
    For what it's worth, the Fine Woodworking 2008 Tool Review Issue reviewed router bits (here is an excerpt below):
    "Excellent"": Eagle, Whiteside, Lee Valley
    "Good": Bosch.
    "Fair": MCLS
    Did they include Amana in the review?

I mostly have CMT--the orange bit!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Michael Donahue View Post
    Where do you folks think the Rockler branded bits fit into the groups? Thanks!
    Rockler rated "very good"- Infinity rated "excellent". Woodtek rated "excellent".Clifford
    Edit: CMT rated "good."
    Last edited by Clifford Mescher; 10-29-2008 at 5:31 PM.

Amana makes some of the best router bits and saw blades I have used. Not cheap, but good. They do have a less expensive Timberwolf line that I cant speak for, but the main Amana line of cutters is among the best available.

Blog Entries
    I would have no fear of the Amana bits. I have a few mixed in with my Whiteside's (first choice for bits that I'll have sharpened over and over) and my Freud's and they do just fine over the long haul. Don't get me wrong. I take advantage of the $5 Woodcraft sales and have a few Rockler's as well. All my MLCS bits died a premature death for the cost.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent View Post
    Did they include Amana in the review?
    I don't remember, sorry!

Blog Entries
    Amana brand bits are second to none. Pricey for a reason. Tested 2 raised panel bits 2 yrs ago. Freud and Amana. Freud-175 panels. Amana-350....Jack

My best bits are Infinity, Whiteside, Freud, and CMT. Avoid the off brand cheap stuff. Never tried Amana bits but their top blades are very good. Buy 1/2" shank whenever possible.

There are decent midgrade imports at reasonable prices that make sense for some seldom used profiles..MLCS, Holbren, Woodline, Woodcraft, Grizzly, Rockler, Price Cutter, etc.

FWW 2007 Comparison:
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....