Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on the PRL-V2 Router Lift?

Any thoughts on the PRL-V2 Router Lift?

Hi all. Does anyone own the new precision router lift from Woodpeckers/Incra, and if so what are your thoughts on it. I am thinking of buying either this, or their Quick Lift QL420A. The quick lift is less expensive, but should I just cough up the extra $ and get the new precision lift?

Any helpful insight is appreciated, because I'm not sure which one to buy.

Thanks.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Brian,

I just placed an order for the PRL-V2 so I expect to get it next week. I've found mark@incra.com to be quite helpful with general inquiries so give him a shout. Feel free to mention my name if you like...dunno what good it will do! haha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I too have been looking at this lift. Does anyone else find it strange that there has been absolutely no hands-on reviews of it yet? I think I have received at least 4 emails from Woodpeckers since the V2's announcement with sale prices on it, which suggests to me that the demand for it isnt what they were hoping. SEND IT TO THE REVIEWERS (or to me ) and if it cuts the mustard, people will buy it.

D

Brian, if you haven't already, join their email list for the savings. 40.00 on the PRL IIRC. I have the regular PRL, and it is a well built piece of machinery. I like the improvements on the V2. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

One thing to note:

The PRL-V2 comes in two flavors:

One is from Woodpeckers and the other is from Incra. The only difference that I'm aware of is the insert rings: Woodpeckers uses their twist-out rings while Incra uses a MagnaLock ringset.

I ordered from Incra and got the MagnaLock ringset. I have a Woodpecker's PRL with their twist-lock ringset and while it has been fine, it was never really flush and could be a tad painful to remove at times as you need a tool for it. I'm TOLD (by Incra, of course) that the MagnaLock ringset sits dead flush and is held on by rare earth magnets so no tool needed to remove.

Since I've both systems, I think I can provide a fair assessment of the two systems in a side-by-side comparison. Should be a heckuva thread that will probably need to be heavily moderated and eventually closed, right?! haha

Thanks for the tip Jim. I just signed up for Woodpeckers' e-mail club, although I can get the V2 even cheaper off of that big auction site, with 25% MS cashback, which puts it close to $200.

And Chris, I would have never thought that the 2 different systems would make a big difference. I am not too concerned about using a tool to get the woodpeckers' out, but am a little more concerned about it not sitting flush. You have given me something new to think about. Thanks a lot! BTW, would you have to moderate and close your own review thread when you get out of hand, like Jekyll & Hyde?

I also wanted to say that I emailed Tom at the NewWoodworker, and he says that there might be a review coming up in the next few weeks (and he already give a great review of the original PRL and the Quick Lift.)

Thanks again for everyone's input.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Brian,

I have the PRL and the PRL 2. As Chris stated, the twist rings in the PRL do not sit exactly flush, they are very close but… The twist rings for the PRL and PRL 2 are the same so if you have a PRL, those rings will work with a PRL 2. The twist rings fit my PRL 2 dead flat. The PRL 2 in my opinion is much easier to work with and very accurate. The spring lift coupled with the thumb wheel make router bit adjustments quick and precise. I have relegated my PRL to storage and probably will not use it anymore unless something drastic happens to the PRL 2. In my opinion this is a very useful upgrade if you don’t mind spending the $$$.
    Roger

Cool...sounds nice, Roger! I look forward to getting mine. One thing I didn't like on my PRL was the need to clean the threads as over time, it would get difficult to move it up and down. I was thinking the new V2 might have solved that but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Cool...sounds nice, Roger! I look forward to getting mine. One thing I didn't like on my PRL was the need to clean the threads as over time, it would get difficult to move it up and down. I was thinking the new V2 might have solved that but time will tell.
    Chris,
    The need to clean the threads was a driving factor in my upgrade to the PRL 2. The PRL2 doesn't have the threaded rod configuration the the PRL has, so hopefully the thread cleaning will no longer be an issue.

Roger

I'm chagrined because one month after I took delivery and installed my PRL, they come out with the PRL II. I can be rather charming when dealing with customer service folks, but I don't think I could get them to take mine back and send me a new version.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bolen View Post
    Chris,
    The need to clean the threads was a driving factor in my upgrade to the PRL 2. The PRL2 doesn't have the threaded rod configuration the the PRL has, so hopefully the thread cleaning will no longer be an issue.

Roger
    Excellent! Great to hear, Roger. That is what Incra told me and judging by the pics I could find, that seemed to be the case so I was all ready to upgrade. I guess some of us will be selling our old PRLs although I'm trying to think of a reason to keep it....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    I'm chagrined because one month after I took delivery and installed my PRL, they come out with the PRL II. I can be rather charming when dealing with customer service folks, but I don't think I could get them to take mine back and send me a new version.
    I felt that same twinge in just about the same time period. I do love the PRL though. My rings will actually go below the surface of the plate if I crank on them. I have gotten a decent "feel" for where flush is and just rest a finger nearby whilst I tighten (which isn't much). As for raising and lowering, my little $15 lithium screw gun from Costco takes care of that ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, wait until those threads get gummed up with dust...that screw gun will be crying and I hope it quits before any cross-threading might result. Do you have the 32 tpi or 16 tpi PRL?

I was looking at the PRL when I got the announcement about the new one. I inquired about it for my model (5625, not listed for the new one).

Still not available so I will have a while before I buy a lift.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I was looking at the PRL when I got the announcement about the new one. I inquired about it for my model (5625, not listed for the new one).

Still not available so I will have a while before I buy a lift.
    That's right. I forgot about that. I feel better (again).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler