Thread: Jet mini lathe problem

Jet mini lathe problem

As the result of a Bonnie Klein workshop, I have one of her threading jigs on the way, and a new Jet 1220 vs mini lathe. The problem is with the on/off switch. The one on the lathe origionally stopped working, and the WC store replaced it. The new one worked for a short while, and then died as well. I talked to the guy who did the repair, and he said it is the bimetal in the switch which heats up, warps, and doesn't warp back. Any one else have this problem?
    robo hippy

Switch problem

Mine would stick in the open position, and not turn off. I replaced the switch twice (so far). The last switch I put on came from a local hardware store, and seems to have corrected the problem. Saying that has probably jinxed me, and I will have to replace the switch again tomorrow!
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Try buying one from grizzly. Switches tend to be a weak spot in some lathes it seems

I replaced 2 really close together. Then I got another from a different source rather than Jet. It's lasted pretty well, so far.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-30-2008 at 9:07 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a Delta midi, and the switch is located at a higher spot so less dust gets in and it's not easily bumped, but after two years it gave out, I knew about all the cheaply made switches and the trouble they cause, so I replaced it with a heavy duty toggle switch, has worked flawlessly ever since.
    I wouldn't spend good money for a exact replacement that you know is going to die on you again shortly, the switches are just build to cheaply, it's like the copper was gold, there's just not enough in there.
    Have fun and take care

Same Problem Jet 1220VS

I have the same problem and rec'd a replacement switch via Jet last week.

The problem has been intermittent, light flickering, stay on, no turn on at all,

Now problem is after replacing the "replacement" switch...I'm still inop for a total of a month now because JEt was out of stock on my switch?????

Any insight would be greatly appreciated - My lathe is only 3 months old and I already lost a month and orders pending.

I pruchased it from Woodcraft, does anoyne have any experience with Woodcraft and JEt tools? Will I be able to return it to Woodcraft or am I going to have to return my lathe to JET?

NO biggie going back to Jet justut i do not have the original box and I don't feel I should foot the expense of shipping.

Again any insight is greatly appreciated - FYI I am not looking to hijack this thread. Sut a newb and this is my 1st lathe and I borrowed money hoping that a couple orders here and there would pay for itself.
    Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Joe,

I'd talk to Woodcraft and go to the Jet site and send them an email and see what they say.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Weird... I have a Jet 1220 (from like the first week they were out) and I have not had a problem with the switch (probably just jinxed myself as well).

Is it mostly the VS that is having the problem? I do not have a VS. =(

Every one!

The switch on my new 1220VS lasted about an hour, seven or eight cycles. Fortunatly it froze in the on position. I have a swicthed outlet On the bench I mounted the lathe on. Maybe we need to submit a class action loud whine to Jet. They obviously need to go to a differant vendor for thier swirches. I intend to rewire mine to the blank plate on the tailstock end and use a 20Amp switch.
    Bob

I think I'd be taking my old switch down to the local motor rebuilders, or the local electric store and asking if they have a sturdier replacement if I were some of y'all.

I took my old switch apart when I bumped it one day on the way to a demo and it quit working. I blew all the dust out, lightly sanded the contacts, lubed it, and re-assembled it, and so far (knock on my wooden head ) it's worked great. I'll see if it acts up again this Saturday when carry it down the road to do some demonstrations.

I as well as several of my friends have the small Jet lathes and every one of them has gone through at least one toggle switch. All of us went to the Borg and bought one of there toggle switches and have had no problem since then. The cost at the Borg is cheaper than from jet also.

You guys that buy your "toggle switches" from the borg, are you just buying a regular house type light switch?

I have a Jet midi that my wife got me two years ago. I have used the heck out of it and not had a problem yet. For a while I used it with a foot switch till THAT switch burned out

Jim I have a few and just picked one that was heavy enough, I got a link here, standart size heavy duty toggle switches SPST is all you need 20 Amp is a good size, look at #35-080, has screw terminals, and price is $2.70, buy two and your set for life.

http://www.action-electronics.com/switches.htm#Standard
    Have fun and take care