Thread: Shilling for Wood Days

Shilling for Wood Days

For those of you who live within a reasonable driving distance, the 14th Annual Wood Days Festival is being held at the Canterbury Shaker Village the weekend of June 26th and 27th. The village is about 20 minutes drive north of Concord NH and off of Interstate 93. Admission to the village is $8 for adults and gets you into the village (including a guided tour) and the Wood Days event. This event covers just about every type of woodworking you can imagine and there is live music under the big tent all day both days. Food is available on site or you can bring your own and picnic on the grounds. Hours are 10AM to 5PM both days.

Displays and demos include: chair caning, timber framing, dovetail box making with hand tools, both power and hand carving, horse drawn logging, bandsaw mill lumber making, several woodturning demos both powered and treadle lathe, inlay, Windsor chair making, period furniture making, woodcanvas canoe making and repair, scrollsaw woodworking, general furniture making, Nantucket basketmaking, and the making of hand tools by guess who.

Exhibitors and demonstrators include: Chris Becksvoort, Shepherd Tools, Chester Toolworks, Woodjoy Tools, North Bennett Street School, Homestead Woodworking School, Shaker Pine, Tuckaway Timbers, the Guild of NH Woodworkers, Granite State Woodturners, Granite State Woodcarvers, Goosebay Lumber and Sawmill, the NH Furnituremasters Association, and a host of others I forget right now.

Canterbury is a great place to spend a day and there's plenty to see and do for both adults and the kids. I've been demoing there for this event 5 years now and always enjoy myself. For those interested is the Shakers, this is one of the larger Shaker villages in the country and most of the buildings are open to explore along with almost 200 acres of grounds. I hope to see some of you folks there this year.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

well....i guess 3000+ miles isn't exactly reasonable. Wish I could go.....

have fun!
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Wow! That sounds like one rocking good weekend. How could anyone NOT enjoy that? I even found myself checking the calendar to see if there was any way I could make it. I may have to plan a vacation around this event one of these years.
    Good luck with your demo, Dave. I'm sure it will go off without a hitch. I sure hope that Chester Toolworks has stocked up on inventory since I've heard their tools are this year's hot new item.
    I wonder if the Homestead Woodworking School is the same one from Waco, TX that I attended...bit of a haul for them if it is. If it is, get over to meet Paul and Stan as they are really good guys. I owe a lot of my skills to them.

Have fun,
    Tom

Well Tim- We DO have airports in NH and some of them even allow Californians to land unmolested.

Tom- The Homestead School is actually one in Newington NH run by a friend of mine. It's on his old family homestead which has been in his family since the early 1700s. Yes, I am building up stock to sell at the event since Canterbury is where folks first asked about buying my tools. Wood Days is always the last weekend in June so start marking your calendar for next year or the year after.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    and some of them even allow Californians to land unmolested.
    Hey....rumor has it you New Englanders are more progressive than us left coasters.....
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Hey, "being molested" is in now...no molestation, no go for moi!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

[QUOTE=Dave Anderson NH]Well Tim- We DO have airports in NH and some of them even allow Californians to land unmolested.

Hey, I can vouch for that! Just flew in and out of Manchester airport last weekend and didn't get molested! However, when I showed the security person my ID, he made some wisecrack about "Once the thunderstorms start the Californians get scared and leave"

BTW, got to visit North Bennet Street School last Friday. Saw some incredible work by the soon-to-graduate students.

Manny,

You shoulda come up with some wise crack about earthquakes...thunder FROM the ground! We'll see how fast those folks in New Hampshire can move...literally!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Any I dea how far it is from Wolfboro NH? Got family with a lakehouse there might fit in nicely with that. The weekend sounds awesome. I would love to get the almost 3 year old out to see a sawmill in action.

Wolfeboro isn't far, but....

In the words of the old Yankees, "Cahn't get theya from heya". Actually John Wolfeboro is about a half hour to 40 minutes away over the back roads. Canterbury is further west and is just off Interstate 93.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scott
    Wow! That sounds like one rocking good weekend. How could anyone NOT enjoy that? I even found myself checking the calendar to see if there was any way I could make it. I may have to plan a vacation around this event one of these years.
    Good luck with your demo, Dave. I'm sure it will go off without a hitch. I sure hope that Chester Toolworks has stocked up on inventory since I've heard their tools are this year's hot new item.
    I wonder if the Homestead Woodworking School is the same one from Waco, TX that I attended...bit of a haul for them if it is. If it is, get over to meet Paul and Stan as they are really good guys. I owe a lot of my skills to them.

Have fun,
    Tom

There's a WW school in Waco? Do you have contact info for them, Tom?

James,
    The school in Waco (actually, just north of Waco) is at the Homestead Heritage Homestead . I took the 1 week course about 3 years ago, which is combination of all of their foundational hand tool courses. it covered all of the basic joints made with hand tools only, and included several projects to highlight each new skill. Depending on your current skill level, you may be eligible to skip straight to the advanced courses.
    The teachers are fantastic, and the atmosphere is great.
    PM me if you need any additional information.

Tom