Thread: CNC Router Comparison....

CNC Router Comparison....

I actually found this forum looking for info on small (benchtop or desktop) CNC Routers for signs ,plaques etc. It's been a big help so far , but the choices and options and variance in prices are staggering . That combined with the fact that I don't know what I don't know about CNC routers just added to the confusion.

Here's some background on myself and some parameters I was looking for

Avionics Tech for 22 years ( 4 yrs Air Force , the rest Full time military tech for the CA Army Guard.)

Electronics Division Supervisor for 16 years ( Avioonics , Armament, Instrument, Electrical and ATE Shop - Automated Test Equipment)

Currently retired from that job, but came back in different status supervising contracted radio repairs and upgrades.

Concurrently with the above, I've been a woodworker for over forty years (both as a hobby and side jobs) (Actually longer than that - My mother has some items I made in my father's shop when I was about ten years old)

It was only natural that I combine the two skills and end up looking for a CNC Router

The parameters I set myself for the machine were the following :

Small footprint - I'm working out of a double car garage - While I haven't parked a vehicle in any garage for the last thirty years, it can still be cramped. ( So many tools, so little time)

Working Area - I was initially looking for something along the lines of 24x48 but it became clear pretty quickly that the price parameters (see below) would drive this parameter

Conveniance - I was looking for a plug and play solution - All I had to do was buy a computer, load the software and plug it in to the CNC Router.

Price - Under $5 K ( plus or minus)

Software - This is another area where it gets real confusing. I was looking for a complete solution- I don't think it's out there- Most machines came with Control software , but from there on, it varies what you will actually get and what you will actually need (or prefer)

The bottom line is , in trying to make an educated choice , I developed a spreadsheet for comparison purposes.

It lists Manufacturers (with links) (what I could find anyway) Model numbers,Prices (where I could find them or recieved responses to price queries) - Work area , Type cutter (Router or spindle - almost all router), Type motors ( step or servo - almost all step at these prices), Shipping cost where listed , and Software included (and version where I could find it)
    There are some blanks, where I either haven't recieved a response on price , or haven't had a chance to send a request.

If anyone is interested in recieving a copy of this , please email me and I will send it to you. It is a work in progress , as I probably won't buy for another 2-3 months . If you do elect to get a copy , I would appreciate feedback as far as missing manufacturers or models I may have missed. If the response is overwhelming , I may have to send out a bulk email, so you may want to add me to your contact list so it doesn't end up in a SPAM filter ( You can always delete me after you recieve it)

I'm hoping this will save time for a bunch of other people who are doing research on this ( and also give me more info if I missed any manufacturers or machines )

bob, we have one of our camaster fellows who does cnc work and is still in the military

www.myshadowboxes.com

he uses a camaster stinger

www.camaster.com

there is also the shobbot buddy
    www.shopbot.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Would you happen to still have the spreadsheet you were talking about? If so, please send one to: rghardesty@yahoo.com
    Thanks
    Rebecca